1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First Fert apps today in MN

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Apr 21, 2008.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Got out today to do apps on my comml properties. Grass is JUST starting to come out of dormancy, we need heat units! Has been rather wet here too, tough on fert apps that way.

Any other upper Midwest guys out there, what is your take so far this season?
  2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

bump - has to be some northern guys getting into action....
  3. flattoplawncare

flattoplawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Or late this week weather permitting i am starting cleanups.
  4. ProCutLawnCare&Landscape

ProCutLawnCare&Landscape LawnSite Member

First application will take place in 9 days....... April 30th
  5. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Started clean ups today. Fert and Pre M on Thursday morning looks like.
  6. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

Spring clean-ups for me, probably Wednesday.
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm shooting for Wed. / Thurs. start as well.

I was out checking soil temps today around Wyoming, and they're still a little on the cool side, with temps cooling back down again towards the end of the week.

Most of the areas in the middle of the turf on south and west facing lawns was about 45 degrees.

The areas right along curbing and blacktop were about 49 degrees and I found 1 area at 51 degrees, but that was a 2' strip between a drivethrough and a south facing wall that's loaded with windows.

I'll be out checking again in the morning, to see what today's weather did to the soil temps, but the most finicky properties won't be done until the end of next week anyways.

DA - you gotta remember, alot of us north of you have had snow on the ground in the not too distant past. I've still got a couple of snowbanks where the snow was pushed up, and I didn't even plow the last 2 snowfalls.
  8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Makes sense, you got in on that last big snowfall and pushed things back a bit up north. We lost the last of our snowpack 2-3 weeks back and this recent warmth is starting to work some magic....
  9. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Put down my first ton Thurs/Fri last week and another today. A lot of snow mold on some, both gray and pink. Some lawns are beginning to grean-up nicely. Soil temps hit 50 in most areas today. Snow is gone everywhere

Saw many guys doing spring clean-ups on commercial sites that drain well. To nights heavy rains will slow 'em down.

No dandies yet but another day of sun.....