first few stages of fabbing a Z mount collector

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by G.A.S., Sep 17, 2007.

1. G.A.S.

G.A.S. LawnSite Member

Fellow LCO's
    Just started making this. Couldn't justify a couple grand on a factory model. Is there anything I should consider before I continue? The vac engine is an old 8hp. wisconsin robin and attachments and the hood $100
    variuos tube and some sheet $120
    2 32 gal trash cans $28
    few diff. nuts and bolts $12
    I figure if this works, I'll save about $1600

misc. 066.jpg

misc. 067.jpg

misc. 068.jpg

misc. 071.jpg

2. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Very nice, looks like it will work well. And the 2 barrels can hold a lot. Leaves are blowing around in my front yard right now ALREADY.

3. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

Cool design,

do you plan on covering the gaps between the fram and the cans and te trash cans

4. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

Another thought is have more trash cans so you can just load the cans then drop them on the trailer or in the trauck

5. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

you might want to think about that exhaust directly above that fuel tank.. other than that......... It's looking great!

Tim

6. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

My only concern would be weight. that sure is going to be a lot of weight beyond the rear tires. Will take a lot of weight in front of the front tires to compensate for that. Potential for damage to lawn is imminent. great design, I would have just gone without the motor driven blower. Bought just the spindle driven turbo blower and fabricated the rest of the catcher.

I do like the use of trashcans. My thoughts have been to build one using the rectangular type and stacked 3 side by side. Less wasted space when putting a lot in the truck, and they would be a little smaller and weigh less than bigger round cans.

7. PearsonExteriors

PearsonExteriors LawnSite Member

I have a tracvac for my z. it has swivel wheels mounted directly under the cans. You might try to find one online somewhere and look at it. I like it, can be removed with 2 pins, came with a mounting kit that attaches to the frame. What you're building looks like it will work real well, and save some money. I would definitely look at mounting some casters under those cans though, those cans probably could weigh 200 -300 lbs a piece depending on how fine they get chopped up. Really nice though, I wish I hadn't paid $2900 for mine, but it has paid for itself over and over again.

8. PearsonExteriors

PearsonExteriors LawnSite Member

Oh also, be careful to keep the cooling fins on the mower clear, there are a lot of fine particles blowing around when you are running something like that. If those cooling fins get clogged you could blow a head on your mower.