First Flat Tire x2

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by S3Scooter, May 13, 2006.

1. S3Scooter

S3Scooter LawnSite Member

I got my first flat on my zt the other day. Than I went to my next Job, and got one on my trailer too. Must have for your trailer, Plug kit, portable air tank, and even fix a flat. Minimal time lost due to these items. Oh yea, I don't have a spair for my trailer yet either, so I had to plug it. Air tank was empty, luckly near a store. Grabed some Fix-a-Flat and I was back on the the road.

So I'll go get a spair, and if you dont have it, go get a plug kit and a tank.

S3

2. rustyb265

rustyb265 LawnSite Member

I find that fix a flat works really well even on the mower tires. I keep a can or two in my truck just in case. Its nice to just air back up and keep going.

3. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

That reminds me I don't dont have a spare for my truck. I got extra tires just need the rim, damn I always wait till the last minute.

4. sooner74

sooner74 LawnSite Member
    from UT

first time I had my ZTR out and cutting I took a corner too sharp and caught the tire on a piece of metal, got a flat tire I have had a spare ever since and luck would have it, I haven't had another flat. knock, knock, knock

5. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

i keep six cans of fix a falt in my trcuk...there where on sale at walmart and never took them out...but they are awesome...i had a bad tire on my 1st wb and for some reason never got it fixed(didnt have time) but fix a flat once a mo was great...then finaly got it fixed lol...but the stuff is amazing

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Me, too lol, 2 flats last week, both from construction nails... Weird...

First one stuck my trailer at the dump, I could hear it going down the road and man was I worried when I finally noticed what it was making the noise. It's a radial tire and they're heavy duty so they run close to $100 each, they're not that worn yet and the nail went through where there was thread but far enough to the side it was off the radial lining.

They say you can't plug a tire if the hole isn't through the radial lining, but it wasn't on the sidewall and I am thinking, I got nothing left to lose. I can see why they say that because the plug just barely held in there, I never drilled it out, just put the plug in and that was 3 days ago and no problems since.

Then the mower, this one went through the lining but it is nylon or bias-ply and again I am sweating, but that one holds fine, too...

I carry with me always:
    At least one can of fix-a-flat. Try real hard not to use this on a road tire, but it's free compressed air when you need it.
    A half-decent 12v compressor, no good if the tire has come off the rim but other than that...
    A decent tire-pressure gauge, the kind with a needle and dial.
    A complete tire patch kit with the T-handle tools, don't get the straight handles. Make sure to refill those plugs from time to time, and I also carry spare valve cores (the center bit not the whole valve) and a little tiny valve tool to remove / install said cores.

You are correct, it will save your day!

One more thing: If you have a larger truck like a 3/4 ton series with the larger truck-like tires, I have found it near impossible to get a plug in there because I can't even get the first tool to drill out the hole through the tough lining. What I learned is take an electric drill and a smallish drill bit, and drill out the hole then use the tools but go slow with the drill just in case.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We carry a tank of air and kevlar stapping so it a tire comes loose from the rim we can get it aired up and back on. We like the green slime stuff...only use this in mower tires.