First flowerbed install estimate

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Feb 14, 2008.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Passed out 300 out of my 1500 doorhangers yesterday and got two phone calls so far. One was for weekly service and the other was a nice flowerbed job. I gave them an estimate of $580.00 without plants.
    Starting from the grass up, it was a 25x30 L shape that went around the house and 3ft wide. They also wanted one in the middle of there lawn that was 15x8. The reason the estimate was without plants is because I told her I would have to get back to her so I could price the arrangement before I could give her a full estimate. She then ask without plants. So $580.00 would include the install of a border, tilling, topsoil, and mulch.
    I figured it would be $300.00 for the 5 yards of mulch + markup, Then I figured $40.00 an hour x 7 hours.

I really have no clue how to charge for this type of job so dont hesitate to let me know what I did or didnt do wrong.

Also, on a side note, How many jobs do you get from your estimates? 90-100%?

2. Elite LawnCare

Elite LawnCare LawnSite Member

Sounds very low to me.

3. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

I don't do much installation of beds, etc. When I do, I go price the materials first and then estimate how long the job will take. So I charge materials plus labor. The customer wants an idea of how much they are paying for materials.

I tell them the materials are an estimate and will let them know if I need a little more mulch, rock, etc.

I did a small job today and the job actually came out below the estimate, so the customer was pleased.

4. ED'S LAWNCARE

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

25 x 30, and 15 x 8 equals 870 sq ft that is approx 9 yds of mulch 3 in thick. Is there somthing else not factored in that you would come up with 40% less mulch? To do the work with 9 yds of mulch I would be around $750

5. Elite LawnCare

Elite LawnCare LawnSite Member

I would figure 8 yards of mulch @ $640, 4 yards of top soil (depending on what your doin)@ $320, rototilling @ $150 plus whatever your border cost and $1 a liniar FT to edge.