First Ford Problem

Discussion in '<a href= target=_blank ?>Sn' started by GeoffDiamond, Jan 14, 2001.

1. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

The Truck

1995 F 350 DRW 4X4 Dump Body 3 Yard sander 9' plow. 175 K

Whole truck shut down, so we trailered it to the dealer. The problem 4 new sensors, cost 300 bucks. However they were not done, also needs a new computer. My question was how much is that going to cost? Only because I am going to trade the truck in the spring. The cost $ 0.00 part will be in monday morning, some how they are coving it under warrenty. The warrenty I don't even have. The truck runs now, but needs a new computer. They said I could pick it up at 8:30 or 9 monday morning, just in time for the storm. Could have used it with out the computer but I said I would wait.

Talk about service

2. Gordon

Gordon LawnSite Member

TSB#94E52 Is an Emission recall for the ignition control module.
    Thats why they are covering it under warranty.
    Sounds like you've got a good dealer stick with him.

Forgot to add if you have a powerseat there is a safty recall. But they would have picked that up already.

Out of 150 TSB's for your truck nothing about brake sensors. Sure is alot about brake shimmy and driveability. Good old Fords.

[Edited by Gordon on 01-14-2001 at 11:40 AM]
  3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

If it is the main engine computes or ECU it is big bucks. Be happy they arecovering it under warranty. Odd for it to go bad. Do they know why the sensores failed. Did electrics gt wet. Did the truck get a power surge (welding, alternator failure, new wiring?) I would consider myself lucky if they cover it and trade the truck in when you can. If they cannot trace the problem it may surface again.
  4. Dusty

Dusty LawnSite Member

I can see one module failing, but not 4 at one time. I think that there is a common link to the failure that they are not telling you about. I would ask for the defective parts back and then discuss it with the service manager as to the cause. There are a lot of hidden warrantees today and yours may just be eligible for the whole repair. I doubt that 4 modules failed simultaneously without cause!
  5. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

There was an article in the local paper - car talk section - today about this very same problem - pollution control computer being covered under warranty for long time. I think its like 8 years or 80,000mi. And being very expensive. Your pretty lucky, really, getting it under warranty.

6. sam c

sam c LawnSite Member

Sounds quite fishy geoff! 4 sensors and a comp. at the same time, unlikly.unless you had a major elect.surge, or better yet a faulty engine ground in which case it looks for the next best ground sorce usually the E.C.U. grounds.unfortunatlly it will not tolarate any extra current through it. be shure to check the batt. to engine ground connections and the batt. to body ground connections verry good! i`ve seen bad grounds melt E.C.U. harnesses,shift cables,speedo.cables,emerg.brake cables,anything that connects body to chassis or engine. lucklly for me i was being paid to repair them not paying for them to be repaired! i was a mechanic for 12 years.
    If there finding a way to warrentee it thats good for you, but i would not rule out that they may have cooked somthing trying to get it started and the service manager is putting the warrentee claim through an other truck. just a guess because i`ve seen it many times. if it is the case just be glad that there not charging you for it i`ve seen that too many times also! The case may also be that you have a good oldfashion shop that is trying to help you not "****" you!
  7. DaveO

DaveO LawnSite Member

I agree with Sam that somethings not right about needing FOUR sensors. Either your dealer wasn't sure what the problem was and started changing sensors, OR you had an electrical surge which damaged these devices. The surge could be from a bad GND as mentioned, or your alternator's regulator diode is ready to fail. Ask your relative who is the EE, I think he will concur.

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

it is possible-but not likely that you had a few bad sensors before this happened,It is more likely that they threw some parts at it until they found the problem.All the dealers i worked for would let you try a new part ,if there was more than one thing that could be wrong,then if it didnt work you could give it back to the parts counter without buying it.Geoff,at least they got right into your truck and are fixing it ASAP.Is it a 460?i thought you had all deisels for some reason.
  9. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Big old 460. All my new super duties are Power Strokes. All the old body styles are Gas. The power stroke and the E40D trans just didn't mix, when plowing. BTW there is a big fuel savings with the diesel.

I am not suprised we had 4 sensors go bad. The truck is at the end of it's company life span. It has been getting oil changes and it maintmance, but haven't bothered with the sensors. We have been driving with a check engine light for 6 months now.

10. 9FT.PILES

9FT.PILES Banned