1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

(First Frost)How many have started leaf cleanups

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smcunningham, Nov 2, 2007.

1. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

I'm starting next week. We got our first frost on monday and then again on tuesday....leaves should really start falling in about a week and a half. Where else in the country has seen frost so far?????
  2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

First full week of cleanups up here in Mass. Maples are coming down like crazy, Oaks are still about 75% green. Up here if you leave the maple leaves on the lawn till the oaks come down it will kill the grass. Nothing like making your first pass with a blower and finding brown slimy grass underneath.
  3. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

First frost came back in early September here. First snow came end of September. It has been in the teens and twenties every morning since the middle of September. All my clean ups are done.
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I should be done with cleanups about a week from today. Then it's stake the parking lots for snow.
  5. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Ohio

We've been doing clean ups all week.

Had frost all week, first of the week stayed on the ground till 9/10 ish
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I would have thought you northern boys would have been getting frost for a while now already?

I guess maybe the elevation is more of a factor this time of year than distance north of the equator? We started getting frost before you guys I guess? Started here earlier last month. We have had some hard-hard frosts already.
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

FIrst frosts here was last week, end of the week. Actual FREEZE happened just a couple nights ago though. Leaves are starting to fall pretty good here, though there's s till a LOT of green ones left to turn. FIrst part of my week I had basically no leaves to clean-up, then thursday and friday I get slammed! I ordered a new BR600 blower on tuesday and was able to pick it up today (what a BEAST!)

Envy, nice tombstone. Well, not "nice" Rather sad actually...
  8. Landscape89

Landscape89 LawnSite Member

Man do I hear you on that!
    I am probably starting next week. :clapping:
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I made that myself....

Rather fitting I think, all things considered.
  10. goodgreen

goodgreen LawnSite Senior Member

It's been a very warm fall in Michigan, so many leaves are still green. But I've been doing leaf work for about 3 weeks now. Crazy thing is now they mentioned something about snow next week!