First frost kill mowing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnsaspire, Oct 5, 2009.

1. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

We've had everything come a month early with the weather here. They're predicting the 1st frost next monday. Will this kill the mowing for good, or does it take more than one?

2. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

hell, It hasn't froze here yet and just the cold temps have slowed the grass down a lot. A good hard frost will slow ya down good. I usually still mow after the grass has slowed down, just to keep on top of the leaves that keep dropping. (for the customers that care)

3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

All depends on the soil temp also. If the frost didn't get to deep it will keep growing.

4. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

You will still be mowing till the end of Oct...maybe into Nov.

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto. A 32 degree mini frost won't do a thing to fall grass growth.
    Get a few colder ones though, and things will slow down.

6. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

The weather guys here have been saying that we could possibly see our first snow flakes mixed with rain this coming weekend. I can deal with cold temps, but the crappy weather, I can't.

7. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Low temps at night are counterbalanced by warm temps in the day. When you lose good, warm, sunny days, it's time to wind down...

8. The first light frost will give grass a little growth spurt. Weeds too. That's when I spray for broadleaf weeds. Right after the first frost. That's when I get the best kill ratio.
    I expect to mow right up to the first hard freeze or snowfall. But the time between mowing is getting longer.
    Heck, at this latitude grass will green up and grow in January if we get a week or so of warm weather.

9. lawnjocky

lawnjocky LawnSite Member

The first frost won't stop you but customer's miss-perception's will.

10. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

It will definately put the smack down on the crabgrass though.