1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

first frost

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by m2pc, Oct 2, 2003.

1. m2pc

m2pc LawnSite Member
    from Mass

I am in new england and we will probably get our first frost this weekend. Does this mean that the top growth is slowing down and the roots will continue to grow for another 2-3 weeks? If it warms back up next week into the high 60's low 70's, does that mean the topgrowth will resume growing?

I am asking because I put starter fertilizer down 3 weeks ago and would prefer to wait at least 4 weeks before putting down the winterizer application. But if the top growth will recontinue growth with a slight warm-up, I can wait another week or two before applying the winterizer?

Any advice on this would greatly be appreciated
  2. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

Don't go crazy laying the fertilizer down. It sounds like you have just seeded a lawn, and it is getting established before winter.
    Growth will slow after the frost but will not stop all together.
    If you over fertilize, and the grass grows too quickly, it will be more susceptibal to freeze/ burn.
  3. m2pc

m2pc LawnSite Member
    from Mass

Thanks Ax man

I'll wait at least till the end of October.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

you should always apply one last good fertilizer to the lawn usually around September, and then apply the final fertilizer (winterizer) around the end of October, beginning of November. Try to allow for 6-8 weeks between all fertilizer applications.