First full day with new Lazer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, May 24, 2001.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

So far so I'm pretty pleased.

I have a couple of questions though...

It's a 25hp Kohler and it backfires just about every time I shut it down. I read the Kawis do this alot. Is this unusual for Kohler? Is it just a break in thing that will get better?

The hydrolics seem to me to be pretty noisy... forwards, backwards...always hear 'em working. Much more pronounced than my previous Gravely ZTR. Normal?

Last job of the day my customer comes out so I drive over and shut the machine off. Chit-chat a bit... show off the new machine. I go to start up the mower... Nothing! Just a very faint click. Ask the customer for a hammer, tap on the starter and it started... thank God!
    What's up with that? Break in thing again?
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Don't know about the kohlers. The ones I have don't backfire much, but they have many hours on them by now.

Yep, the hydros are noisy. You don't really notice them at full power, but lower rpms you can really hear them scream.

Sounds like a starter problem. I would probably call the dealer and see if they have a new one in stock, and have them replace it.
  3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

let the machine cool down for a minute before shuting it down, thats why its making the noise afte you turn the key off. i can still hear the hydrolics working on mine after 400 hours, just normal to me, it makes me feel better though because i know their working. not sure on the last one of why it wouldn't start.
  4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

That's the thing... they're pretty loud even at full power. On the Gravely I had to lower the throttle to hear them. I'll have to see if I can find someone else with one to compare.....

5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

my kohler backfired for a while when it was new, after 100 hours or so it mysteriously stopped. after 950 hours, mysteriously stopped alltogether. rebuild. dave g
  6. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The hydro's get quieter after you put some hours on it. My dealer always said to make sure you turn the mower off with atleast half throttle or it will back fire. Not sure if this helps you, but maybe it will
  7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

The kohler 25 always backfires,if its a command pro,shut it off at wide open throttle,if its a command,let it idle for 30 seconds,and it should shut down quietly.The starter not engaging-Id demand a new one,its already getting corrosion,and dirty contacts inside.The hydros,cant help you with,check out another one if you can.
  8. Skolnick's Landscaping

Skolnick's Landscaping LawnSite Member

I have the toro z-master with the 25 koler and 118 hours on it and it has never once not back fired i was told by a few people that you have to put it to half throttle then shut it off. i tried that and it still back fired i found that putting it to low idle gives it a quiter back fire and with the starter problem sounds like a bad cellenoid.
  9. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 20HP Kolher Command on my Walker. It has 750 hr's on it and if I don't let it idle for a few minutes it ALWAYS will backfire. I've learned to let it idle and cool down a bit and it WILL NOT backfire. Try it and see if it solves your problem. 2-3 minutes should be enough time. Hope this help your engine problem. As far as the hydro's I will admit I have no CLUE, as Walker Mowers are a whole different design compared to other ZTR's.
    Good Luck,
  10. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 25 hp kohler also, the key to mine at least is to let it cool down, we load the mower bring it down to idle , close the gate ...then shut the mower down its kinda like cooling down your body after a nice run....same idea... :cool: