Lawn Care Forum banner

First Gen Tundras?

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  LawnGuy110 
#1 ·
Looking at picking up a new truck, mostly for personal use. Will only be used to haul a 2.5K trailer a few days a week and haul some debris. I've been seeing some good deals on first gen Tundras, mostly around 2000-2003 year range. I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me of some common issues to look for with these trucks? I'd be looking for one with the 4.7 V8.

If I was looking for a dedicated work truck for heavier, every day use I'd go Ford or Chevy or maybe even a newer Tundra, but this will mostly be a daily driver, with a little bit of work thrown in. I'm only doing maintenance part time these days and my trailer isn't very heavy to begin with.

So, just looking for people's experiences with the first gen Tundras in general, not looking for people to tell me to buy something else. Appreciate any good feedback, thanks guys!

#2 ·
So far I've found online that the timing belt has to be changed every 90K as a maintenance item or it can wreak havoc on the motor. Also water pumps are an issue and weak brakes. Body rust, but rust isn't an issue out here in the desert. The paint on these trucks seems to fade fairly easily though I've noticed. Still appreciate any personal experience stories.
Posted via Mobile Device

#5 ·
I had an '01 I bought new. Extended cab, 4.7, 4WD. I ran it up to 120K miles. It needed an O2 sensor after warranty, but Toyota paid for it anyway. Nothing else but brakes and tires. Like most Japanese car engines, the timing belt is a required maintenance item, and often the mechanic will want to replace the water pump at the same time.

I really liked mine, I used to pull a single-axle trailer with 1 ZTR loaded. It was a nice setup.

#6 ·
We have a 4.7 V8. Does well with a trailer but gets bad mileage. But its a great run around truck for going on errands. Getting around 18 highway/town empty and 10 while towing.
Hey MCC, thanks for replying. What kind of mileage do you have on it? Any problems with it? I have heard they're a little bit of a gas hog.
Posted via Mobile Device
Read above as far as mileage.

I had an '01 I bought new. Extended cab, 4.7, 4WD. I ran it up to 120K miles. It needed an O2 sensor after warranty, but Toyota paid for it anyway. Nothing else but brakes and tires. Like most Japanese car engines, the timing belt is a required maintenance item, and often the mechanic will want to replace the water pump at the same time.

I really liked mine, I used to pull a single-axle trailer with 1 ZTR loaded. It was a nice setup.
Yep, ours goes through O2 sensors like crazy, seems like they have replaced one several times when at the shop and another one is out and needs replacement.

#7 ·
MCC,
I got the mileage thing, I meant it like "Oh yes, I've heard that." :)
I've heard about them blowing through O2 sensors on the forums too. Do they run really rough when the sensors go out or just throw a code or what? Is it an easy do it yourself job to change or are they in a tricky spot?
Posted via Mobile Device

#10 ·
MCC,
I got the mileage thing, I meant it like "Oh yes, I've heard that." :)
I've heard about them blowing through O2 sensors on the forums too. Do they run really rough when the sensors go out or just throw a code or what? Is it an easy do it yourself job to change or are they in a tricky spot?
Posted via Mobile Device
I missread your post from the getgo, it has 103K.
The O2 sensors are super easy to replace. Although I typically do all maintenance on my equipment I do not do a whole lot of work on my vehicles other than oil and minor stuff. This would fall in the minor stuff category. The truck is raised up high enough that you can crawl under and change oil or whatever without jacking it up. Same goes for the O2 sensors.
Doesnt make the truck run rough that I know of, just a code I think.

#12 ·
i have an 06 limted double cab with the 6 foot bed towing a 5x12 trailer with 2 walk behinds and it doesnt even squat. the only thing i have had to do is change the timing belt and the water pump (normal considering im almost aT 100k miles, 98800 to be specific) other than that just normal wear and tear (oil, tires, etc.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.