1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First head to head with Brickman--WOW

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DixieFerris, Mar 15, 2006.

1. DixieFerris

DixieFerris LawnSite Senior Member

you guys were right, that operation sure can go low with the bids! that's ok, because price won't be the final decision to make or break the bid we have with this business park, but again wow! Our bid per building (8 identical properties) was $8,000 each--Brickman was $5,400! we were in the middle (#3) out of 5 bids in price. The decision maker told me if we can come down a bit without comprimising too much and losing money, it would go a long way, but he said he could not expect us to go that low nor would he want us to. Those guys sure are one heck of a volume operation! But I can see why people get discouraged by them too. I stressed our local company which went a long went since the landlord is also a local person, and our availability if there are problems, which he said brickman never responded fast. I came down to $7,250 a building, we'll see how it goes! Anyone else having Brickman concerns?
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

NOT to discourage you but I go against them, TruGreen Landcare and the Budd Group all the time. So based on years of going against them (some I win, some I lose) a $100 bill says they still go with Brickman.....cause in the long run the owner is a businessman and money is money is how he will look at it in the end.
  3. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

i'm not scared of them and they're mexicans.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

what the hell does that mean?
  5. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

6. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

More than likely, he means that they are hispanic people that are in the U.S.A. ILLEGALLY. :usflag:
  7. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Just because they are latino means nothing. The company still has to pay the comp, taxes, etc. on those employees. Probably not 401K, health, etc. but still the basics which all of us have to pay as well. In addition to that, if they were hiring all illegals the INS would be all over them like a fat kid on a cupcake.
  8. DixieFerris

DixieFerris LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the advice MMLawn, you are probably right, but at least we have a few things going for us at that place.

Mr. Mulcahy, if you are going to be tough, at least you the correct tense of "their", meaning possessive, not 'they're" meaning you are not afraid of they are Mexicans' OK?:rolleyes:

is your Dad Father Mulcahy from M.A.S.H?
  9. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

I strongly disagree. Here in Tennessee, the INS is nowhere to be found. I know of tobacco farmers that "employ" dozens if illegals and NOTHING is ever done. IMO, the only area that our current administration has failed is not closing the borders after September 11 (not 9/11). :usflag:
  10. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Not to start an arguement or anything, but Brickman isn't exactly a tobacco farmer. They would be employing hundreds, if not thousands of these latino workers. Not exactly 1 or 2 dozen. I am sure Brickman wouldn't want to put themselves in that type of situation.