First Hedge Job critique please

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by sms8921, May 29, 2011.

1. sms8921

sms8921 LawnSite Member

Just finished my first hedge job. This is on a yard that I just started maintaining this year. Had a few of my customers ask if I do hedges so I decided to diversify. Let me know what you guys think. I used my new shindiawa trimmers also! It ended up being a good saturday job for me and the wife.(not all hedges trimmed are shown in pics) Stripes are courtesy of a 99 John deere Hd45 hydro walk behind. Thanks for looking!

Before
    [​IMG][​IMG]

After
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. jason72g

jason72g LawnSite Member

Wow! Looks great! What kind of maintenance do you perform on your hedge trimmers blades?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Raymond S.

Raymond S. LawnSite Senior Member

Looks good especially for your first job. Only thing I could critique is that you could be a little more aggressive. Could just be my phone (hard to see pics) but it looks like the bushes have a little more growing to do. When they finish up you'll need to go back and hit them again (sprouts.) I have customers that get their bushes trimmed monthly and I have some that want them cut heavy so we don't have to come back again. All depends on what they want. Good job though. Oh and be prepared, it may be the only compliment you get on this site :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I doubt any...they're brand new :laugh:

Looks good by the way...better than my first hedge job.

5. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Holy crap, I looked at the pics again and that house looked like a typical Western PA home...then I realized your location was Butler. I'm down in Mars :waving:

Feel free to say hi on the Western PA Landscapers Networking thread, link's in my sig.

6. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

looks awesome man....

7. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Be careful not to create the V shaped shrub. Nature makes them gumdrop shaped on purpose. The taxus at the front door...try not to let the tops get wider than the bottom as this will "tell" the plant to stop growing down low...creating the V that you see everywhere.

8. sms8921

sms8921 LawnSite Member

Thanks mdlwn i app. The advice i def. See what you mean i will try to keep them more vertical instead of v shaped next trim job thanks everyone for the replies!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

looks great...i always cut the bottom branches inward at the bottom near the ground...makes it easier to trim around them and mulch or whatever and it just looks better.

10. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe in your eyes..just keep in mind that every book, university, horticultural expert or ANY true landscape professional disagrees with you. Reminds me of the baggy prison look...who would have thought that the worst role models on earth would influence style among the undereducated.