First Hunter I-40 6" Installed

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Jul 29, 2006.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Had the opportunity this week to use our first Hunter I-40 6" sprinkler under ideal conditions. Had a Toro 640 go bad and began to dig it up; it was also a wee bit low due to soil/turf buildup over the years. However, there were a lot of tree roots in the area so I just pulled the 640 out and dropped in the 6" I-40 body onto the swing joint and it was a perfect match to ground height. Our cost is only about $4 more per sprinkler over the cost of the 4" version so it's also economically sound.

Hunter I-40 Six Inch Pop Sprinkler IV-01.jpg

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

A milestone! Otter Pops for everyone!

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Did you frame that picture? :laugh:

4. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

Complete with the celebritory bag of Cheetos!

Love the I-40's; our favorite turf head.

5. Dirty Water

How often do you encounter an I-40 in residential work? With a ~70 ft spray I doubt I'll ever see one.

The last large park irrigation I installed I used I-25's.

6. PurpHaze

Got a bag in the freezer. Found out our 3-1/2 year old granddaughter loves them. I'll mail them out right away but you'll have to refreeze them. :)

No. When I design my first complete system with them then I'll think about framing. :laugh:

They were already gone when I got there. But I did do a celebratory dance around it offering up sacrifice to to the sprinkler gods. :laugh:

Mine too. However, last football/soccer field I designed I used I-25s as they fit the plot plan, PSI and GPM much better.

Never for tract homes. Most are at about 50'-55' spacings here unless they have a booster pump on the system.

Good sprinkler with a lot of versatility.

7. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

Oops, I meant I-20's :eek: . We like the stainless units. Though one property could have used the I-40's if we had enough water.

8. Dirty Water

I like the I-20's but I still prefer a PGP due to the fact that the stiff spring on the I-20 can make it hard to pop in marginal pressure area's.

Stainless risers look awesome, too bad they all run at 4 am :D

9. PurpHaze

All our I-20s, I-25s and I-40s are stainless steel risers when they go in the ground. We DO have some contractors put in plastic versions but they are usually caught and they have to change them out.

10. PurpHaze

If they had a stainless steel version then we'd use them also.

You mean you've never gone out in the middle of the night to watch a system fire? I have. Had a problem one time where we couldn't find anything wrong with a system's performance during the day so I spent a night out in the field with a flashlight. Finally found out that too much water was being used by competing programs during a two hour period. Made some adjustments by rewiring valve sequences and tweaked a couple of programs and all was well.

I did make sure I took a security person with me and notified the PD so guns wouldn't be drawn on me. :laugh: