First impressions

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mike lane lawn care, May 24, 2008.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

ok so after owning the new 2500HD for a day, i noticed a few things.

1. it's very quiet in the cab
    2. it's the most luxurious vehicle i've ever been in, period.
    3. the ride quality is significantly better than a 1/2 ton.

now down to the stuff that matters for work.
    it tows my landscape trailer like it's not there, no jarring of the suspension going over bumps.

the fuel millage sucks 12.8-14.0 MPG WTF? is this the consequence of owning a huge V8? is that normal? will it do better on a long highway trip?

2. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 LawnSite Member

...lol...

I have a 3500 Duramax Diesel dumper and get 10-11mpg on a good day... 350 something horses is tasty though :laugh: .

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

cant wait to see wht my F350 is gunna get on mpg

4. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

you should be glad your seeing that much mpg. Mine is worse.

What I dont understand is that my V10 gets better mileage than my V8 and my v6 personal car gets double of both, lol.

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

My old 94 F250 5.8L would see generally 9-10 mpg under any conditions. Maybe close to 11 on the highway. Is the truck brand new or is it used?

6. oakhillslandscaping

oakhillslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

your V10 gets better mileage cause its a bigger engine pulling a big truck, with a V8 its working harder to move the big truck which is why the milage isnt good

part that i hate is i have all diesels and diesel here is 5 bucks a gallon and they are getting 12-15mpg and cause they run all day everyday im spending more then gas pick-ups

7. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

For a V8 that is pretty good... And I am guessing you have your right foot burried in the gas peddle and if thats the case you are doing really good.

My ol 12 year old chevrolet 350 will get 16 on the highway if I am not in a big hurry. Around town with trailer and tools 11 MPG real easy.

8. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

your unhappy with 13-14mpg in a 3/4 ton 350 horse 7k lb truck? You didnt check on mpg B4 you bought it??? I have the same truck. 07 1/2 2500hd. I av. 13 with no towing, goes down 1-2 towing mowers. highway you might get 15. good luck w/ the truck. I like mine. the sheet metal sucks though (thats all new trucks).

9. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Damn you can say that again. On little bump and they dent like crazy. I thought i was the only one who noticed. My 98 can take a full blown cinderblock and it wont dent lol (kidding, but the 98 is much much thicker)

10. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I am done some damage to the floor of the bed on my 96... :hammerhead: