First impressions

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mike lane lawn care, May 24, 2008.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

fuel millage isn't a deciding factor, i know it was going to be low. i was just wondering if it was in line wit the normal, which it seems to be. the fuel millage is offset by massive amounts of raw power.

2. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

You are getting better than average fuel economy---nice.

3. Hansen Lawns

Hansen Lawns LawnSite Member

I took a 2004 2500HD home this winter for about a week... it was an overnight test drive, turned into me buying it.. and returning it when I realized what kind of $hit deal I was getting!

I was getting 12-13 doing 58 on the highway pulling nothing! Don't the '08's shut down to 4 cylinders at cruising speed? (when not towing anything I would assume) or is that just the 1/2 tons?

The '08s are VERY very nice trucks, as it looks like you've learned!

I'm still driving my '94 1/2 ton.. tranny is about gone in it! Just trying to save up for a nice truck that I wont have to change 6 mo. after I get in business. I don't want to show up with a different truck one day and have my customers be like "wtf? who is this guy?" or DAMN we must be paying him WAY too much if he upgraded that quick! haha

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

thats good for an 04 with the old tranny. cylinders only shut down in the half tons.

5. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

this was actually the reaction of one of my biggest clients, after rolling around in the 1999 1/2 ton flatbed for a while, showing up in a truck of the 2500's caliber was a bit of a shock for him. he told me "kid, you must make a pretty penny off me, but thank god you got a truck that matches your skill"

6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

do you want a decent truck that can haul alot? do you want it to plow snow? do you want it to be reliable? if yes, buy it or any other gm,ford, or chrysler 3/4 or 1ton...

If your looking for a truck with good mileage, that will never happen. Sell your business and buy a civic if your that concerned about mileage.

Not trying to be rude, and I understand that it does suck, but its the name of the game. Bigger trucks = bigger bills/repairs/etc, which all together should equal bigger checks for your business.