1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First Insurance Company?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Dashunde, May 11, 2005.

1. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I've been hunting Ins co's, and I have not really had a lot of luck finding a good one.
    Mow only, Sole proprietor.

I've been with State Farm for years (personal), but they wont touch me until in business for 2 years.
    Farm Bureau will insure business - if I move my truck from SF to them - I'm out on that (been in collision estimating for years, don't want FB auto, no way).

Safeco is two years in biz.

Who else writes first year biz General Commercial Liability at a decent rate? (Without strings attached, like moving home/auto too)

2. justin234

justin234 LawnSite Member

You might try American Family Insurance (Quoted me $574/yr) or Allied Insurance (Quoted me $371/yr). Also try an insurance broker and let them find you the cheapest rate.
  3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I have State Farm on my truck too. Same situation. I went to Farm Bureau and they didn't require me to move my truck even though I plan to when I get the time. $25 to join and $204 for 1 mil/2 mil. general liability including pest(weeds).
  4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have started out with allied 800 a year incl. 25k inland marine :D
  5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

For liability I have a company called Acuity, they insured me for one million with very few questions asked. For auto, I have a commercial policy through Citizens, very cheap rates with both.
  6. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

We had the same problem, and asked State Farm for a recommendation on who would take us. They referred us to a local insurance broker who has been great to work with. Try asking your State Farm agent who they would recommend for a new business.
  7. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Guys!
    I went with Allied.. 1Mil & 10K is $490/year

Thanks again for the info.
  8. Electra_Glide

Electra_Glide LawnSite Member

Like you, I have State Farm for all my personal stuff, but I couldn't get my business insurance with them for the same reason.

I ended up going through a insurance broker I knew, and he got me a policy with Scottsdale Insurance. $1M for about $1k/year, but I'm an excavation contractor.

Joe Kantz