First irrigation job anxiety.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by MR HYDROSEED, Apr 4, 2006.

MR HYDROSEED LawnSite Member

I gave a quote for an irrigation job that I think I'm going to get if I have the balls to do it. I'm one of those guys that knows he can do anything as long as he puts his mind to it. My last job, I worked at an Industrial Hardware store and know everything there is to know about plumbing. I know I could easily install an irrigation system in my own yard but I'd do it my way, that doesn't always mean the correct (legal-up to code) way. I don't want to drag my feet anymore, I want 100% confidence that I can do this not 90%. I work in MA and NH, in MA you need a licensed plumber to do anything in NH you can do what ever you want as long as you own the property. Do I have to hire a rip off plumber every time? I asked a local irrigation company to split a job with me and after he talked me into giving the customers info basicly told me that he has his own system and wouldn't be willing to work side by side with me. I'm hoping to find a local irrigation supplier that would come out in the field with me to make sure I'm going to do the job correctly. I guess the worse case senerio is I screw up and just have to fix it? no, it could get much worse than that! Okay maybe i will call in that plumber... Is there a place to go to completely educate myself on irrigation installation?
  2. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think the problem is the plumbing as much as the lay out. If you don't get proper coverage or you have to many heads in one zone you could get screwed. Maybe work part time for someone and any business you get for him you make a little extra.
  3. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I do wonder what most of you installers do for plumbing taps, second water meters (so you don't pay sewage on outdoor water), and backflow preventers.

at least here you need to be a licensed plumber to do that work if you are going to pull a permit. and although I do replace backflows for service I call the plumber for new installs to make the tap and install the backflow.

Do any of you guys have your own licensed guy on staff? Do you have one guy that gives you a great deal and runs out there to do it if you are doing 30+ a year?

I still have to find a better system
  4. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

sorry about the attempt to hijack your thread...

read some books on design... see if you can either work for another company as a laborer for a couple of jobs to get a feel for the process or work at cost for a couple friends/family doing their systems.
  5. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

You really don't have many choices until you spend enough on plumbing per year to hire on a full time plumber. I am looking for someone close to retirement to try & get on hourly.

Mr. Hydro,

As an irrigator we have one job: To lay pipe inorder to keep the bushes wet:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  6. bumper

bumper LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

You could probably lay out a decent irrigation system on your own property, not much liability in that. That said, there are some key elements of an irrigation system that you need to know or have some experience with before attacking a client's irrigation system. That liability issue might dissuade you from experimenting.

See if you can get on a crew or find some classes where you can learn the calcs, the layout etc before you make the move to residential.
  7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We get to make our own taps here in WA...As long as its after the meter.

Mr. Hydroseed:

The impression I get is that you are nervious about the actual install, while this is hard (on the body) the fact that you didn't even mention being nervious about the design indicates to me that you probably don't have a good understanding on proper system design.

I'd hold off on taking any jobs until you learn how to properly lay out a system.
  8. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

MR HYDROSEED LawnSite Member

the only concern i have is getting plumbed legally into the main water line. I didn't mention that I was nervous about proper design is because I'm not. Even if i screw up the design, It can be fixed easily before back filling.
  10. Please don't design your system based on a website...this one or the one posted above me.....we can give you basic guidelines etc....but do not rely on that tutorials site that is designed for DIY and guys that can barely read.

My advice to you is to find another irrigator willing to show you how it's done....and pay him to do the be the muscle and work alongside him or his will learn more doing that than you ever will reading books or listening to the losers on this site....yours truly included ;)

In fact..he doesn't know it yet...but Dmac is going to be giving me a lesson in plowing pipe sometime very soon.