1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First Job And I Need Help!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by yzwannab, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yzwannab

yzwannab LawnSite Member

I have a women who would like me to weed out a 10x12 patio, 8x17 rock garden, and weed out a bunch of ivy around inground pool (very over grown, not even accessable pool areas). Now i went there by myself to give an estimatted price on labor. I cut her grass every week for $15. I went realized it woujld be aobut 5-6 hours of work. Told her that about 10$ and hour would be alright. she looked at me like she had s**t her pants and said
    " oh i can get a professenal over here to do it cheaper then that".
    so we ended up settleing on $6/hr becasue that is minimum wage nowadays.....

WHAT DO I DO!!!!!!!!!!
  2. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

your nuts, anyone else on here would have figured it out at 35 - 60 an hour.
  3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

You are a Marine and you let a woman cut your pay by 4$ an hour? You are going to sit down in the hot sun and pull weeds for 6$ an hour? 15$ to cut a yard? You can work at Hardees for a starting pay of 8$ an hour + bennies. I am not trying to be smart. YOu need to read hours and hours of this site before taking anymore jobs. Learn all about running a business and dealing with customers etc etc. Become the pro she is talking about.
  4. yzwannab

yzwannab LawnSite Member

lol wow thx guys

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

3 things wrong-- Cutting grass for $15
    ---working for $10.00 an hour
    ---Cutting the $10.00 even MORE!!!
    Read Charles post over and over and over and ov------------------
  6. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

You need to tell her that you under bid her job and must get at least $125 for labor. If it takes you five hours then that is $25 an hour. Since you are not a pro then I feel that is a reasonable rate. If she doesn't want you to do it then she has done you a favor.

This is almost a full days work, and you are only getting $50-60, that is crazy. She is not only paying for your labor she is paying for your equipment and your knowledge. Once she calls a professional to do the job and finds out the going rate she will call you back to do the work. But please dont do 5-6 hours of work for $50-60 dollars. This makes it hard on eveybody else in the industry. If you want to work for $10 an hour get a job with your local lawn care professional. I would love to have you work for me, I pay my workers more than that.

Just remember that you will not get every job you bid on. If you set your price and feel that it is fair be firm with it and dont let a customer talk you down!! This is real talk, not trying to be funny.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh that's easy my friend, even in my 5th year somedays I get talked into a bum deal... I'm still not sure how it happens, but you can either do the dirty until the day you blow a big fuse in your mind and see what happens then...

Or take the shortcut and walk away from it, don't even show up no more, don't bother to return her calls, don't answer the phone when it's her, and chalk it all up to lessons learned. If per chance you accidentally answer the phone and she catches you, please feel free to let your true feelings show not so much by cursing or telling her off (well try not to) but don't make any extra effort to conceal that either.

This is what I learned over time:
    - You are never under any obligation to start or finish what you agreed on.
    So, no matter what you agreed on doing, you don't gotta do squid or squat.

See, my brother, you OWN your business, which means you make the ultimate decision, always.
    Oh, and please raise your prices :)
  8. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow...pulling weeds for $6 an hour? Geesh.
  9. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

that lady is taking advantge of you like charles said. after reading alot more from this site, i would go to her house and take a giant s$%t on her ivy she wanted you to pull out for 6 dollars an hour!
  10. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry topsite but I disagree!

"All you have in this world is my balls and my word and I aint breaking them for noboby." Tony Montana

If you underbid the job you should talk to the customer and tell them you cant do the job for that price. Screening calls to avoid the client after not showing up to do the job is such a cowardly way out of it.

Just be honest and upfront all the time and you and your company will gain respect from your clients. But what ever you do dont just not show up and avoid the calls from customers. Thats so classless
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.