1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First Job...How much should I charge?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by rutwad, Oct 19, 2006.

1. rutwad

rutwad LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I used my ASV 100 HP skid steer with mulcher attachment for approx 3.5 hours. I mulched a trail through the woods for heavy dump trucks to enter the back yard withoug crushing her front yard. I took down 2 8' sections of privacy fence, pulled 2 posts, and got into the pool area. I detached the diving board to save it. The concrete around the pool (maybe 4' across) was pushed into the pool. Sand will be hauled in to fill in the pool (we are waiting on drier weather) which I will spread leaving about 6"'s for top soil. Then dress-up work, and reattach privacy fence sections. Oh yeah, pool was to be drained and ready, but the I and the owner spent about 2 hours pumping it out. I maybe spent 1 hour, then mulched for the other hour while it pumped out. I can't say total hours because I still have to spread sand that is yet to be brought it. Any rough ideas on a price?

2. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

Time and materials

100 and hour plus materials and disposal is very fair.
  3. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Charge all you can get.
  4. sunray

sunray LawnSite Member

Are you taking the pool out?
    What size is it, Gunite or liner?
  5. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

machine and operator for the day $850 plus dumping fees and materials sounds about right. make sure you punch holes in the pool in several areas to allow for drainage.
  6. rutwad

rutwad LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Well, first day was an all day event. Mulching, pushing in concrete, etc. Then a few days later the first load of sand was delivered. I returned to get into the pool with my machine and bust up any large pieces of concrete, and use what little sand was there to help me get back out. It took way longer to clean the machine than it did for the work. Then, later again, I returned to spread 2 more loads of sand. Not much work time here either, just cleaning sand out of the tracks on my machine. About a week later, same thing, 2 loads of sand, little work, lots of cleaning. Finally tomorrow at least 1 load of sand, maybe 2, then top soil and dress up work.

I really don't know how to figure the job, because a couple of days I may have spent just over an hour at the jobsite. But cleanup is what is killing me. If I have to return for 1 hr. work, I should be able to charge for more than 1 hr. I don't want to cheat the man, but I don't want to cut myself short either.

7. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

You gotta figure "your total price". As for me, I have a four hour minimum and a transport fee that varies depending on drive time......my minimum transport fee is $80 and that's if I just have to go to a neighbors or down the street. My typical transport fee is $150 and up.
    I learned early on that one hour here and one hour there will eat your lunch financially......I prefer to not even do the 4 hour minimums.
  8. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

What I failed to say on that last post is that each trip I make is a 4 hr. min. and transport fee.
  9. skidmaster

skidmaster LawnSite Member

Are you out of your mind?You sound like you haven't got a clue, no disrespect! But if you have an ASV 100, you are doing something right. I am confused. You got the machine and you have completed most of the work, but you don't have a price. Who or what kind of people are you working for? Bottom line, $150.00 transport fee. $1100 a day labor and always double your dumping fees.
  10. rutwad

rutwad LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

You charge $1250/day for bucket work? I must definitely be cheating myself!

SO FAR
    Transport fee x5= $750.
    2 full days x$1100= $2200
    3 days 4hr/min ($260)= $780
    SUBTOTAL= $3730

I day left when topsoil arrives

1 transport fee $150
    1 day labor $1100
    SUBTOTAL $1250

TOTAL = $4980

That seems high to me. I want to treat my customers fairly.

Am I wrong here?