First landscape bid

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by grasscutter845, Mar 23, 2008.

1. grasscutter845

grasscutter845 LawnSite Member

This is my first kinda big landscaping job and i need some help with the bid. I need to make a mulch bed 8x73 ft and the customer wants forsythia, oratmental grass and some type of pine, also i need to grind 2 stumps and plant one tree in place of one stump. Im going to rent a dingo with a stump grinder and a auger to drill the holes for the plants. With 6 yards of mulch and the rental im at 500. The job i think will take me a total of 16hrs working by myself. What is a good rate per hour? I was thinking 40? Also any ideas on what kind of pine tree would look good?

2. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

First of all, if your like me, you will love doing the job! I love everything about the landscaping business, but I really like doing installs!

I don't know what your operating costs are (fuel, insurance, etc.) but here is how I would set up your expenses.

Make labor a whole different thing when it comes to bidding. The customer should pay for all machine rental, etc. and you should get a specific amount in your pocket. I do not recommend putting rental costs into your "labor" price.

Here's is how I would base my pricing:

Materials (Plants, mulch, delivery, etc.)
    Equipment Rental/Fees (In your case this would apply to the dingo and any attachments)
    Labor (I'd get a flat price, you could easily make more this way, but you could use whatever you want to make per hour as a basis)

Has the customer already handed you the job at a specific hourly rate, or is bidding going on right now?

Good Luck!

-Mitch-

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Where did you come up with that $500 figure? Is that what your planning to charge or is that your cost? I would price the mulch by the yard and include delivery, the product and installation all in one. Then factor in the rental fees for the dingo as well as fuel and such. I think for that kind of job, $40 an hour seems a bit low but thats me...

4. grasscutter845

grasscutter845 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help guy, mitch just bidding is going on right now, i planned on breaking everything up like you said J&R-the 500 is the dingo for the day and 6 yrds of mulch

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The Cost to you or what you are charging??