First landscape job, looking for some input

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JeffNY, May 15, 2008.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY LawnSite Senior Member

Lady would like 7 evergreen bushes removed (about 4'x3' each), and things replanted in the bed across the front, and around the sides of the porch.
    Says she can never get anything to grow on the east side.
    No flowers, no roses, nothing thats going to grow huge, maintenance free (unless I voluntarily go trim something), and not crazy expensive.
    Those were her only terms. Rest is up to us.

I was thinking, charge $125 to remove the bushes, then plant maybe a dwarf evergreen cone shaped shrub on each side, with some smaller ones in the middle?

I would like to make her house stand out and make neighbors ask who did it, shes in the middle of a grid street area.

Suggestions?

Need any more info, just ask.

Thanks.

2. STRINGALATION

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

photos help alot. sounds like a very low budget my specialty lol
    think in terms of foudation planting.

3. JeffNY

she went away on vaca, so i'll go snap a pic later

4. JeffNY

ok, here it is.
    She wants something on the left side of the porch as well.

[​IMG]

5. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

Something like this. Shrubs need pruned sometime but is a new look. Get rid of evergreens first:laugh:
    VO

house.JPG

6. JeffNY

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions, im going over to the nursery now to check on these

7. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

You better charge alot more than that to remove those yews you will be digging a long time getting those stumps out I would be alot closer to $500 in labor trust me with a shovel you will be there all day taking those out.$ 500 labor plus materials is what I would charge.

VO that is awesome

8. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

$125 to remover those taxus?!! I almost just passed out on my couch. My back and wallet already hurt for you.

9. JeffNY

$350 better?
    Is there an easier way to get them out? I voted for using my truck, but apparently thats not 'professional'.
    I doubt she'll pay $500 to have them taken out.

Just a good thing I didn't give her a price yet.

10. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had a couple "taxus jobs" and the steel spade suprisingly popped them out ok...you never know. Maybe rent a small mini-ex or dingo for a couple hours and pop 'em out. But there you have a decent cost for rental... If you have a good space to work in, pulling them with your truck isn't all that bad as long as you don't create more damage. You're better with that 300-350 price. Good luck!

For cheap materials, you could use some Arbs (I'd use some columnar juniper maybe...Hetzii, Ketelleri), knockout roses, Blue maid holly, Itea... Hell, almost anything will go in front of that house.