1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

first large scale contract, please help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Turfdoctor1, May 17, 2006.

1. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

I am currently doing only residential properties between 2000 and 40000 square feet. I have the opportunity do snatch a large 8.5 acre (8.5 acres of grass) subcontracted account for year long weed control and fertilization. I am new in business and have been dragging the hose. This will not be possible for this job, and I must buy some equipment.

I don't want to get screwed, and since I have never used a PG or Z-spray or anything else for large areas, I'm not sure how to bid this account. I know that my product costs for the year will be about $3000. With 33% markup, this makes my product costs $4200 for the year. What about the labor and the extra overhead?

I think that I am going to quote $1800 an application for 6 applications, for a total of $10800 for the year. Does this seem reasonable?? Please help if anybody has ligit input. I have searched the site, so please don't tell me to do so. This guy wants numbers today. So, if anyone has any input, it would be much appreciated. thanks!
  2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

price sounds about right, I would let them know you are buying a special piece of equipment for this job and have them sign a contract for the year. I have the PG Magnum and use it on all my properties big and small.
  3. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I suspect that if you get a PG you'll sell your hose-draggin' equipment. I bought a used Ultra this spring, it made my job so much easier. Now I got more time and bucks. How will I spend it? :drinkup: I don't know.
  4. Turfdoctor1

Thanks guys. i appreciate the responses. PG it is, i believe.

anybody else have an opinion about the price of this job? Keep in mind, 8.5 acres, most of which is broken into 20 X 100 sections with trees and such (apartment complex).

5. yardprospraying

yardprospraying LawnSite Member

What exactly are you applying for this price. We can apply a pre and post emergent with spray tracker (color) for 1 acre yard at $55.00. We usually charge $140-165 an acre. If we do 4+ acres with charge $125-135 an acre.

That quote seems high in our area, you might call and get estimate from competitors in your area. We can do an 8 acre open yard in 3hrs. start to finish with prolawn shielded sprayer.

Your quote wouldn't fly in our area, but whose to say what could happen where your at.

Good Luck...
  6. Turfdoctor1

thanks yardpro,

this is a year around contract, so the whole gamet. Spring and fall pre-emerge, spring and summer weed control, and summer fertililzation.
  7. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

YardPro, I am with you, I thought 1800.00 for 8 Acres was high too. TGCL will go about 122.00 per acres on something that big around here we are right about where you are on pricing...I would be very interested to know if you get the bid at that price. Please let us know......
  8. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

the pricing is not that far fetched, depending on the local competition. I don't know where sprindale is, so I'm assuming it's not a metro area with loads of competitors. As far as the site being too big for handgun and hose, a second reel with a second operator and enough tank, that's a 4.5 hour spray, so not too sure if that's not really a doable thing..lol..the problem with many apt. complexes is all the misshapen pieces and obstacles make it a pig for doing with a machine that likes fixed widths. You end up handgunning a lot of areas anyway, using the machines on the big pieces and then a wand or gun to get in and finsih everywhere. Riding certainly isn't as tiring as dragging, but you're not absolutely locked out of handgunning on a prop that size.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Get a Z-Spray! You get an awsome ride-on machine that has an agitated tank, and a 50' hose & reel. I thinks it's an awsome machine! Oh, and the smallest ride on one has a 20 gal. tank-larger than the Perm-Green.......
  10. Turfdoctor1

thanks everyone.

i put the bid in for $10,000 for the year. I believe that the guy with the mowing and landscape contract is trying to help me out, and not asking anyone else for bids. He is a guy here on lawnsite that I have met and became friends with. We'll see if the apartment comlex goes for it.

As far as dragging the hose, I definitely agree that it would save a lot of money, and I am certainly not afraid of the work. Unfortunately, there are a few areas I could not even start to reach with a 300 foot hose. They are no where near any of the parking areas and tucked behind buildings. Plus there is a 700 ft by 100 ft stretch that would be a breeze with any other sort of machine. I'm thinking about paying a friend with a 4 wheeler to help me out with the first couple of apps, until i can pay for a PG.

thanks again, you guys have given some very helpful info.