First large size bid

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by gator10277, Aug 3, 2007.

1. gator10277

gator10277 LawnSite Member

I have been approached to care for a cemetery. It is a total of 15 acres minus graves, buildings and roads. It has mostly bahia grass. The previous crew had two mowers and two trimmers going and took about 5 - 6 hours to cutand trim. I am solo so I KNOW IT WON'T GO THAT FAST. I am bidding the job at 1200.00 per cut with 26 cuts per year.

I could use any advice that can be offered.

2. Turf Professionals Inc.

Turf Professionals Inc. LawnSite Member

Lots and lots of water, and you may want to hire some part time help for that job if you can get it. Thos big jobs like that can get overwhelming by yourself. Best of luck!

3. K and B Lawncare

K and B Lawncare LawnSite Member

Hey there. I am fairly new to pro lawn care, but my first year all I did was cut cemetaries. My best advice to you on how to cut is this:

1. Hire a whip man. Whipping is hours of work all by itself.

2. Use zero turn mowers. Lots of backing up involved in cutting cemetaries.

3. Get another guy on a mower. I would suggest at least 3 of you. Time is money. Get it done fast, but remember to do a good job! :)

4. Cemetary turf tears very easily. Be careful with your Z's.

I hope this helps you a little.

Bryan
    K and B Lawncare LLC

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I thought bahia grass grew fast especially in Florida....so aren't your number of cuts a little low?

5. gator10277

gator10277 LawnSite Member

Have to consider that due to blade wear and speed reduction. Thanks

6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Question, 15 acres is pretty large. How many stones are there? Did you happen to get a rough count of them?

I would strongly recommend you hire someone. Doing this solo will take you forever and them some, especially trimming around the stones.

7. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Gator, if you are talking about the Live Oak Cementary it looks like you are definitely going to need a helper for the trimming, lots of stones.

Get a second trimmer for you. When you are done mowing you can help your guy finish faster.

26 cuts. Sounds like they want bi-weekly service. If they do, be aware you'll be cutting at least 8-12" of the thoughest grass in the world. Plan on lots of sharp blades, you may need 2 sets per visit. Also, you will only get about 50 hours of use out of those blades.

Get the Florida Roundup License, its not hard. Then you can apply along fences and areas around trees, beds, etc. It will save you a lot of work.

$1,200 sound ok. Around here it would be considered high.

Good luck.