first legeal issue

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spin2098, Jun 26, 2005.

1. spin2098

spin2098 LawnSite Member

Well it was bound to happen soon or later. I have encountered my first legal issue or should I say bogus legal issue. About a month and a half ago I had a crew cutting a restaurant that we take care of. Apparently a customer of the restaurant claims she was hit with a small piece of metal that flew out from under the mower deck. Now don't get me wrong this could happen I know how far object can get thrown. But here is where it gets good. First the lady was standing across the parking lot which was about 40 to 50 feet from where my guy was cutting. Second the area my guy was cutting the grass is always blown away from the parking lot and the building. Third the lot was full of cars which I find funny that this small piece of metal made it threw all these cars without hitting any of them. Did I mention the lady had jean's on as well and this small piece of metal from 40 plus feet away hit her below the knee. Well anyway my employee is called over by her and she lifts up her pants leg and shows him. He looks at where she is claiming to get hit and shows him. He looks and sees a little scratch and a bunch or scare tissue. He says to her you sure have a lot of scare tissue there she says yeah I have just had surgery and have had a few operations on my knee. People make me sick so lazy women who is to lazy to work and most likely did not have health insurance is trying to get me to pay for her medical bills with some lame false claim. There is noway she is getting a dime from me. Especially since the manager of the joint told me it is so made up and that all it was is a scratch. It is even funny cause my cousin works for one of the best law firms in Pittsburgh. I would love to see her lawyers face when he gets the call from this firm and see's that he is way out of his league. Has anyone else faced a issue you like this where you know someone is trying to get something for nothing? People amaze me they are to lazy to work so they go looking for ways to get money without working it really makes me sick.
  2. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

My guys were cutting the front of a bank once.. The bank managers car was pulled head on into the spot. They said my guy ran of a bunch of rocks and shot it all over the car. Which can happen. The kicker was there was damage to the hood, windshield, roof and trunk. This was an old long cadillac deville. The insurance company was going to pay to get the car repainted to a light went off in my head. How can a bunch of stones hit the hood of the car, skip up the windshield, then hit the roof, and come down with such force to hit the trunk... They denied it thank god after reasoning..
  3. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

hopefully this won't be made into a big deal. People are getting slammed left and right these days its crazy. Does the lady have the metal chunk? If you look at it you could get and idea if it was mangled by blades or if its just something that she picked up off the ground. Good luck.
  4. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Ridiculous claims are why ins. cost so much, the hard working have to keep working hard so the lazy dont have to.
  5. spin2098

spin2098 LawnSite Member

well today after speaking to my other guy who was on the site he said the lady did have something in her hand. He said it looked like it was about 2in long and was a car antenna. Weather she still has it or not I don't know. But the second guy confirmed the first guys story saying the parking lot was full of cars as well. He also said that the chute was directed away from the building. Should be a interesting day tomorrow after the lawyers talk.
  6. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

will be interesting to hear how this turns out. Good luck.
  7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Hope you have good insurance.
  8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

The way its likely to play out is the ins. co. will pay a settlement rather than drag it through trial. And the rates will go up :realmad:
  9. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hell yeah,rates will go up!Ours went UP 35 frecking percent :realmad:
  10. spin2098

spin2098 LawnSite Member

I will not report this claim. No way in heck is this freeloading welfare recipent going to get a dime from me will have to fight me in court. I then will counter sue her and her family and for legeal cost and any thing else i can find. I am sick of people in this country doing jack while I am out there everyday busting my hump. I will loose my company over this just to make a point.