First Lighting job, 20 lights

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by TXNSLighting, Jun 17, 2007.

1. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Ive got the pictures on my web site, they are also in the picture forums. love for you guys to check them out and give you thoughts. keep in mind it is my first one by myself so be gentle. thanks!

Texas Nightscapes 009.jpg

2. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Pictures are regretful, but understandable. When I looked at this picture, my eye went straight to the glare spot where the light source originates :nono:
    The most simple aspects of outdoor lighting is to conceal the light source. These well lights are taking control of your whole scene. I can only imagine what this looks like in person.
    Strong statement coming up: Well lights suck! I don't use them, and don't like anybody that does. Too much glare, not enough shielding mechanisms and overly expensive lamps. Stop using well lights as the cheep way out. They destroy the lighting atmosphere, and ultimately, the lighting design. There are an abundance of different choices out there that have more shielding and concealing of the lamp output.
    2 cents, 4 cents....whatever. I'm not bashing you, I'm just being honest with you. :blob2:

3. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

well what do you recommend besides well lights??

4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

well a stake mounted fixture :)

5. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

so a wash or spot? alrght il keep that in mind. the company i worked for over the winter used the wells, so i figured thats what everyone was using. well thats why im here. got lots of learning to do.

6. Chris J

There are literally hundreds of options because of the abundance of manufacturers. Personally, considering what I see in the picture, I would have used 4 (2 on each tree) Kichler 15384BBR MR16 uplights and cross-lit the trees. Now, the BBR line from kichler is expensive (probably 5 times the cost of your sewer tubes, but there is also a BR line which is brass but not nearly the cost. Even if you used the AZT line, which is very durable and cost effective, you would get much more appreciation for the lighting effects and not so much attention from where the light is coming from.
    If you lawn & landscape guys are going to jump on the lighting bandwagon, the least you could do is educate yourself a bit on how to do it properly. Otherwise, you are just dragging down the entire industry much like Malibu did with the home center products.
    You advertise everything under the sun on your "signature" as if it were the absolute best right down to the trailer you carry it in! If you are going to participate in the lighting thing, don't you think you owe it to yourself, and your customers, to do it right???? Or at least reasonably appealing???? Again, not jamming on you personally, but there are far too many amatures out there that are giving the LV lighting rep a really bad name. We, professionals are trying our very best to promote high quality, low maintenance lighting systems for discriminating homeowners. Either join the club, or get the hell out of the way!

7. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

Thank you for being honest. im definately not one to argue with you and tell you your wrong. thats why i put the lights up here, so the experienced guys can throw in their input, and it is greatly appreciated. keep em comin. id love to hear your suggestions on what to use also.

8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

what are thoes ? River Birches ? Is there any lights in the tree ? a single fixture for a tree that size is marginal coverage.

I might of mounted a few on the backside shooting up in diff directions then perhaps place another boulder (or have em placed if the client was cool with it) to hide the ground mounted fixtures. Its still an option now. This is where a demo set is invaluble to a novice designer. We run across situations all the time that has us thinking.... now how the heck would we light this.

9. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

well like i said, i worked for a lighting company over the winter to learn as much as possible about this business, and this is how they did it. obviously they arent doing it like you are. i really want to join the club! id much rather do lighting than mowing. I am really serious about the lighting business, and want to be very professional about it, hence working for a lighting company over the winter to learn as much as possible. This site has helped me on the lawn biz, and now the landscape biz. theres only one other company in my area doing lighting so theres a market here for it. I really want to do this right and professional. so again all your feedback is important to me.

10. Chris J

:weightlifter:
    You go dude! With that attitude you will go far! Contact me anytime for help as I am always willing to help someone who is willing to learn.:weightlifter: