First Major Hardscape

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by huntlawncare, Jan 20, 2008.

1. huntlawncare

huntlawncare LawnSite Member

Tell me what ya think Thanks

Attached Files:

• 2lc.bmp
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
  2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

It looks painful- as in I would hate to trip or fall. I'm sorry to be too critical, but it does not look very functional in terms of space and the upright edging is not good-looking...

3. huntlawncare

i understand this is all the customers design and he wanted it ruff looking and i tried to talk him out of the border standing up and i explained the gaps but he still wanted it

4. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Are the steps just dry stacked?

5. huntlawncare

yes they are

6. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

I like the stone, but I see the whole thing as a tripping hazard and looks like there will be some erosion issues in the future. I see the biggest issue in the steps. The dust will wash away and the stone will eventually move. It would have cost more, but a better approach would have been to wet lay and maybe sweep stabilizing sand for the joints or even a rough mortar mix. Probably could have done without the steps.

7. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

I done a school project in 5th grade that looked like that, I think it was of Jamestown.:waving:

8. waltero

waltero LawnSite Member

I have to agree with what everyone else has said.

It looks to me that this may be your first attempt at landscape construction.

I will give you a website that you can visit that has lots of good info for new people to learn from. Try to learn the proper construction methods and always think about the safety of people. There are just too many trip hazards in that picture. Also, the stone looks like the thickness varies, and it irregular in size. It is a lot harder working with that stone and coming out with good results. Not sure who picked it out. I would suggest that you look at using pre-cast materials like pavers as they are easier to work with then natural stone. Good luck!

www.pavingexpert.com

9. huntlawncare

thanls for the site and all of your answers good and bad , but just to remind everyone like i said before the customer wanted it this way and yes it is natural stone he wnted the rustic uneven look and i tried to level it up as much as possiable but all i done was the grunt work when i got the call he had every thing on site to do the work and plans on how to do it all i done was give a price and he said do it . i cant arrgue with the customer all i done was give my suggestion on how to do it . but thanks on all the comments this was a learning experiance

10. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

All I Can Say Is Stick To What Your Site Name Is.

Lawn Care...