First month into the mowing season

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by zechstoker, Mar 25, 2013.

1. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

One month into the mowing season, and my route is already full mainly due to referrals... and the phones keep ringing for more work. I think it's safe to say this year is going to be a busy one as long as the summer doesn't kill us again. Here's hoping to a great 2013 to everyone out there!

2. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

This time last year we had been cutting for almost two weeks. This year, not so much. Got 8" of snow last two days. 12" in some areas. I'd like to see a mild moist year, we all need it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. dnc19694339

dnc19694339 LawnSite Member

I agree. still snow on the ground here too. Disgusting.

4. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Grass hasn't even greened up here yet.

5. Vanderhoff Landscaping

Vanderhoff Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Doing my first clean up on Wednesday! Thank god!
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

Our season seems to be right on schedule. I was just looking at lawn pics I took last year when everything really started greening up, and looking at the timestamps on these photos, it was the last week of March (2012) when things started looking really good then. The only thing I can't recall off the top of my head is what fertilizer I was using last year around this time. Right now, I'm still slinging Turf Royale (21-7-14) on most all my lawns. It was either this stuff or Evergreen Minis.

7. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Yep last year I was mowing for 2 weeks. Glad you got that deep snow we got a nice 4'' wet snow

8. DQL10

DQL10 LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck! We just got another snow storm! Now another few weeks behind on our monthly maintenance contracts.

9. DFLS

DFLS LawnSite Senior Member

Last year this time it was in the 80's. This year still 4-12" snow on the ground or mud where it has melted.

Gonna be a couple more weeks for me....

10. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm just starting to see small traces of green in some of the warm season turf here, but so far, our mowing has been limited to fescue and weeds. Our temps here in eastern NC have been trending about 15 degrees below normal so far this month.