1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First mow of the season???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by timfitch, Dec 14, 2007.

1. timfitch

timfitch LawnSite Member

Living in Columbus Ohio I was wondering what was the average start time for the season,I was thinking end of March to April but not sure ???????????????????*newusflag*
  2. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Since the answers are going to vary alot depending on where people are located around the country the best answer I can give you is to start when the grasses begin to come out of dormancy, for us that time of year is usually the first or second week in April. An application of fertilizer in early March will help jump start the process.
  3. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually look to start right after the Forsythia bushes begin to bloom (usually early March).
  4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

for me every year is different, depending on the soil temp, I started pre-m apps as early as late febuary one year. But useally gear up first week of march or so.
  5. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

he's right. it varies year to year. i'll give the broad answer of mid march to early april.
  6. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I live in the KC area. Usually the first week in March, if there is no snow on the ground, Ill go out and do spring cleanups and cut back any winter growth. That usually takes me about 2 weeks to do all my houses.

After that its usually about 2 more weeks before I start doing houses on a regular basis.
  7. Dollar Spot

Dollar Spot LawnSite Member

Over 24 years in business in Northeast Ohio, I've started as early as Mar. 1st and as late as the last week in April. Wish I could be more help!
  8. enviouslawns

enviouslawns LawnSite Member

this is only gonna be my third year but the first 2 years i started on the second monday of april

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Probably end of March ...if your doing spring clean ups.
  10. clint.toris

clint.toris LawnSite Member

as you see you're getting mixed responses because it all depends, not only on the weather but on the equipment you're using. if, for say, you're using a 60" deck zero turn mower, and the ground is still fairly soggy and not quite firm, you're more apt to do damage to the new grass which can set you back a ways as well as make a mess for the business or homeowner. better to schedual srping cleanup for mid to late march and get started mowing as soon as you think afterwards.... I usually use tax day april 15 as a good benchmark but it depends. Here in iowa we can still get snowstorms in early april.