First Mow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by titanlawns, Jan 31, 2007.

1. titanlawns

titanlawns LawnSite Member

Whats the procedure for the first mow of the year? I tried doing a searching and didnt get much luck. I've heard cut it really low. How low, whats the height? Whats the reason for the cut being different? Thanks!

2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I find its all about setting yourself up for your next visit. By the book I should cut at 3 inches. In the spring I'm just under that, maybe around 2 3/4" I'll cut that lawn that doesn't quit need it yet because from experience if you dont, you will wish you had the next week. When that spring fert kick in, man you will know it.
    Spring I'm at 2 3/4 to 3 inches
    Summer around 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 inches
    Fall I'm back to spring heights
    Fall cleanups I will be 2 1/2 inches to 3 inches. Depends on the thickness and irrigation.

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i cut the about same height maybe 2.5 inches instead of 3, but i read here about some in the south with diffferent grass who really scalp the yard...(there is a thread here with pictures somewhere) and i guess with that type of turf its really needed....he had what looked like tons of brown clippings in really big piles...

4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

A guy that I keep trying to secure as a client scalps to hell out of his St Augustine lawn every spring. I always think he is going to screw up his lawn but it always comes out looking the best on his block. As far as my mowing goes, I normally make the first cut 1/4" to 1/2" lower than the normal mowing height.

5. mwdesign1

mwdesign1 LawnSite Member

The first mow is one of the most crucial for the entire growing season.

When you see people almost scalp their yards they are probably doing this for one main reason. When the turf is dormant over the winter and is first cut in the spring, the dead grass clippings from the previous fall are one of the largest contributors to thatch. Excessive thatch can result in poor turf growth.

If possible, the first mow should be used to remove the dead or dormant growth. You do not need to scalp the yard, but should try to remove as much of the brown as possible. By removing I mean bagging if you have the equipment.

6. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Here in the south, I cut the bermuda down as low as I can go, 1 inch but not done all at once, and I use my Walker, when using my reel I cut to 1/2". On Fescue I always cut at 3".