1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First Mower- New to Business!!

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by kona, Jan 22, 2002.

Best Belt driven 36-48 " walk - behind?

Poll closed Feb 21, 2002.
  1. Exmark

17 vote(s)
  2. Scag

2 vote(s)
  3. Gravely

1 vote(s)
  4. Lesco

1 vote(s)
  5. John Deere

1 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kona

kona LawnSite Member

Before spring ,I need to purchace a mower to cut my own lawn as well as 5-8 others that have been offered to me.I am new to the business and have a few questions about walk-behind mowers. I have been talking with several people in the business and keep hearing EXmark!!
    - What is the difference between a fixed and floating deck, and can one cut a lawn with a few ruts in it better than the other?( Two of the lawns i will be cutting have a few uneven areas in them caused by water).
    -Hydro or belt drive for slight hills(not too steep)?
    -How do i figure which size mower to purchace?I am debating between a 36" and 48". (no gates or fences to get through)
    Is there a "rule of thumb" to go by as to how big of lawn and what size mower to buy?
    - How is the EXmark 21" i also want to get a smaller mower as well for trimming and tight spots?
    - How long should a Walk Behind of this quality last for my own lawn and a few others? Any idea?
    - What is involved maintiance wise for these type of mowers?
    Thank You for all your help!!!!
    The only dealer i asked these questions to just wanted to sell me something right then and there and not just the right mower for me!!! He new i didn't know anything about mowers except that i heard Exmark was good and i had some money to spend!
  2. cormierlawn

cormierlawn LawnSite Member

I have a eXmark 36" metro belt drive and love it, my neighbor has a eXmark 48" hydro turbo turf with a bigger motor and i run circles around it. i don't get it. I also have a Lazer HP 52" ZTR and wouldn't trade it for the world. Now Iv'e ran a 72" Lazer and that is one eating machine!!! Good look in your selection, i would go with a hydro with a bigger motor, the biggest you can get!!
  3. thelandscaper27

thelandscaper27 LawnSite Member

Exmark Hydrostatic all the way! :) :) :) :) :) :)
  4. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

I've been in the business for 15 years. First, Exmark is a good mower, I run a 52" hydro walk behind. They are owned by Toro, but are still kept separate. Toro is a better mower. Second, a fixed deck means the deck will not float to the contours of the lawn, a floating deck does. The floating decks elimates scalping in rough terrain. If you're going to buy a 36", go with a fixed deck. The width of the deck is the same as the wheels, so it acts as a floating deck. If you go with the 48", I would go with a floating deck, the deck sticks further out than the wheels and that's where you will scalp on uneven lawns. Third, I definatly recommend the hydro drive. Belt systems are good, but in early hours of the day when the grass is wet, the belts get wet and cause slippage and you'll be pushing that mower. Also If it rains, you can't use it due to belt slippage. The hydro mowers do not have a slippage problem even it is raining extremely hard. It is usually more expensive, but well worth it. Fourth, a 36" mower is great to start out with, but if you don't have to go through fences, go with a 48". Fourth, I've never used an Exmark 21", just a snapper, but if you go with a hydro drive, that will decrease a lot of trimming time. The hydro's are extremely manuevarable and you can fit it anywhere that the deck can fit in. Fifth, a walk behind will last as long as you want. All the parts are replaceable unlike regular 20" mowers. If something wears out, replace it. I perform a lot of preventive maintenance which cuts my repair costs 75%. Also try to go with a Kawasaki engine, they cost more, but are well worth it. If you have any questions, let me know, hope this helped.
  5. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

My first walk-behind was the 36" metro and it worked flawlessly. Getting ready to by a 52" hydro. You just cant beat Exmark.

I would suggest the 36" (belt-drive) to start, that way you get the feel of using a walk-behind. If you had a year of experience I would say go with 48".

I don't know if I agree that the Toro is a better commercial grade mower; just look at the construction of the two's decks, but my Exmark salesman told me that Toro did make the best 21" mower for heavy or commercial use. I bought it and have been quite pleased.