1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by airforcemike, Apr 15, 2006.

1. airforcemike

airforcemike LawnSite Member

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

my OPINON is that it is a non-commercial mower, and the other guys on here will rattle you with comments like it will never hold up under the use. however, i use a tractor, it is the best you can get, but it is not a commercial mower, it gets abuse, and lots of it, they have held up under high demand commercial use for a long time. if this mower suits you, get it. if you want a commercial mower, then get a walkbehind, they cost around the same price. BUT this mower seems like it will be fine for a up to 10 clients or so.
  3. outsourced

outsourced LawnSite Member

Starting out with a walk behind is good advice. I run Skags, but talk to the dealers in your area and demo a few brands. I didn't buy a rider until I started picking up big accounts with 2 - 10 acres. The experience you get starting and learning on a walk behind will put you in good shape when you do upgrade. Also - Cub Cadets are gay.
  4. Badgerz

Badgerz LawnSite Member

No, they are not.
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Cub Cadets are gay?? LMAO!!!!!!! man how did you figure that!!
  6. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

What do you mean by "gay", people use that term alot these days they say it and dont know what it means. btw you spelt scag wrong.
  7. SunSwept

SunSwept LawnSite Member

I used a Z-Force for 2 years. The deck will NOT hold up to commerical use. You will have to work on it more than you will want to. Eventually, replacement is the only option.

I have a M-48 TANK now. I assure you, it does the job.
  8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Well hey, it shows that it has a limited 1 year commercial warranty.. so, yeah, go ahead, get it, use it.. make some money and then after the first year upgrade to a full commercial brand.
  9. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

So you use a regular small residential mower for your company? How many accounts do you have?

I'm not bashing, just curious, I just bought an MTD 15.5 HP for the yards with fences, instead od spending a few thousand on a smaller walk behind I just bought a regular old mower for $899.99..

(I do also have a ZTR)
  10. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

it's a simplicity broadmoor. 20HP 44" deck,this machine is great, holds up well to commercial abuse. costs around $4,000 with mulching kit