First Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Live4Mowin', May 29, 2003.

1. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

Hey,

I started my lawn company about 3 years ago with a 21" craftsman. Still is my only mower. Now that my business is growing what would you recomend as a good mower for a low budget LCO to start out with?:)

P.S. I mow residential lawns with fences so the mower width would be a big factor in my choice.

2. 32" or 36" Exmark hydro

3. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

First thing measure all the gates on your properties every time you mow them for a week. That will tell you more as far as what size mower you can use in those gated areas. Most of my gates on my properties are small enough that I couldn't't use anything larger than a 32" Walk behind. So I have held off until I am busy enough that I can select the lawns that allow me access with larger machines! I would like to be able to mow everything with a 52" machine but that is not practical in this world ! So I hope I can get into everything with a 36" at least! MEASURE THOSE GATES and then get back to us ! Oh I almost forgot ! Do you have a lot of hills in your area ? If so you may want a Hydro instead of a belt drive !

4. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

If your clients all have gates, possibly you should look into the Great Dane Gateway? They are in the sponsor's section.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

How small is the budget?
    How small are the gates?
    How is the terrain?