first mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by adam underwood, Mar 1, 2005.

1. adam underwood

adam underwood LawnSite Member

im just starting up this year and im looking to buy a mower. i have about $1000 to spend and id be willing to finance more if possible. i talked to a guy at landscaping supplier and he told me my best bet would be to go with a new entry level mower and suggested a 32'' billy goat. does anybody have any other suggestions or experience with this type of mower?
    thanks

2. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

Go to Landscapersupply.com if you are willing to spend just a little more you can get a package with a mower, trimmer, and blower for under 3000.

3. rigidone

rigidone LawnSite Member

Hit me up, I can help.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I know that this may sound bad, but if you only have $1000, I would just get a craftsman to start out with. You have to start somewhere

5. student101

student101 LawnSite Member

Tiedeman is correct I think if you are going to start out you should stay within your means and if that means buying a high quality 21" then do it and grow your equipment as you grow your business. I am starting with what it takes to do a good job and nothing more, if you get on the Internet you can get some major deals, take these deals to your local distributors and they will match plus 10%. I got the top line 21 Husky for under 350 from Northern tool not saying this is what i will stay with but the mower has already paid itself off now looking at a LESCO 36" Wb. Big is not always better.

6. polaris

polaris LawnSite Member

last year i was looking for equipment, and got very lucky. I was flipping through a heavy equipment trader and came a across a 60 inch ferris hydro drive good shape. I called him whent and took a look, looked good got the ferris a 18 by 6 half trailer walk behind edger walk behind blower for 2,OOO

7. MJhnson Lawn

MJhnson Lawn LawnSite Member

Try one of the advertisement magazines, I recently bought a 36" Belt, Scag
    Kawasaki Eng 13 HP, 2001; for 1500$ and it runs good, just had to replace
    Trans Belt and Blade Belt thats it. I doubt you can find a decent WB over
    32"s for less than 1300$ that is used. I looked at a few for a 1000$ and less
    and they were piece of junk.