First MP-Rotator Strips

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Oct 31, 2006.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

While out on the detective work from the prior thread I decided to switch out a zone from spray pop-ups to MPR strips... our first ones in the district for the side, left and right MPR strip sprinklers. The grass is about 7' across in the zone. The pictures don't really do justice and I was a little skeptical at first of the coverage. So... being an inquisitive irrigator I went out and stood in the middle of the grass. Didn't take long for the jeans and Redwings to start getting wet.

BTW... The wet sidewalk is from blowing out the PRX bodies through their flush caps before installing the MPR sprinkler nozzles.

Adult School Zone A-18 MPR Conversion IV-01.jpg

Adult School Zone A-18 MPR Conversion IV-01a.jpg

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

[​IMG]

I thought you didn't believe in tilting head's :)

3. PurpHaze

These are angled... NOT tilted. Didn't feel like digging them all up. :)

4. Hmmm...at least when I tilt my heads there is rhyme or reason...you have on tilted down and one tilted up yet the slope is flat and the distance they need to go is the same...wtf?

5. Ed G

Ed G LawnSite Member

Uh, oh. Did I make a major mistake by using a level and insuring all my sprinkler bodies (with the MPR's) were level and plumb? I didn't angle any of mine.

Damn, now I gotta go out there and start kicking heads to get 'em to look like a pro installed them :)

6. PurpHaze

We didn't replace the buckets. We just dug up around them, unscrewed the guts and switched out the 570Zs to 570Z-PRXs. :)

7. PurpHaze

Sheesh Ed... Next you'll having me thinking you're a little anal retentive by using a level on them. :laugh:

I didn't do the original install. We only changed out the guts. :)

8. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

You say anal like it a bad thing! I prefer OCD rather than anal, thank you! :laugh:

I actually use a clip-on bubble level (OCD) on new installations [when you have the body exposed] and another little bubble level (more OCD) that fits on top for older installations.

9. PurpHaze

LOL......... :laugh:

I get pretty close without any level. :)

I love to inspect work and walk up and put my heel down next to a sprinkler and it sinks in 6" due to lack of compaction around the head and swing joint. Probably one of the leading causes of crappy original sprinkle tilt. Doesn't hurt to have size 13 boots, 6'-6" frame and 250 lbs. into it either. Separates the pros from the wanna-bees.

Disclaimer: "The above described method should only be performed by professionals. Due not attempt to perform this at home with sandals on." :laugh: :laugh: :p

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Rookies.

I can tell perfect height and level by just stepping on a non popped head.

:)

That said, I'll tilt a head if it makes sense to me.