First mulch job (pics)

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by wvaughn7, Aug 28, 2010.

1. wvaughn7

wvaughn7 LawnSite Member

All the little ornaments and the hundreds of tiny plants spaced entirely too close are not my doings just to make sure everyone knows. All I did was put new mulch in. I hated the way there was stuff everywhere. If it were my landscaping all the ornamental things would be pulled out and only the plants that looked good would be left.

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

That is a really odd landscape, poor placement of the dull looking plants. The trinkets make it look like Dr. Suess threw up on Disneyland. A good example of how not to design a landscape. I bet her house is full of kitten decorations.:usflag:

3. Andover Landscape Co.

Andover Landscape Co. LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Lexington,KY

Looks great although the edge in the top left photo looks a little odd.

I like my bed edges to look machine cut.. I go down at least 4 inches then bring the mulch down to the bottom of the four. I don't fill the trench with mulch. The edge of the lawn is usually about two inches higher than the edge of the mulch( does that make sense?) Then I smooth the mulch over by hand removing all lumps (makes a big difference)

But looks good...

4. Andover Landscape Co.

Andover Landscape Co. LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Lexington,KY

OK, so I made this little diagram to show you what I mean....

Mulched bed edge...jpg

5. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, the mulch looks good, but those lights and junk in the garden look, well never mind...

As a few have said, next time I would offer to edge the garden, for 1 it will look a lot better and 2 you get another job.

6. Kinz

Kinz LawnSite Member

Don't spread mulch unless you edge the bed first. It's a reflection on you and your company. That's my rule.

7. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

yeah def need to edge beds first or it just looks amature, what did you charge to put down the 11 yards of mulch?

8. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, no edge there. Does not look professional.

9. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

it also looks pretty clumpy-ish i like my mulch to look smoothhhhh.

10. Kinz

Kinz LawnSite Member

...and making it smooth takes a lot of practice. I was a landscape forman for a company and we had a couple of guys that could make it look like glass. It was quite impressive. Practice, practice, practice!