First mulch job (pics)

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by wvaughn7, Aug 28, 2010.

1. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

why would you want to work for 15 bucks an hour? trust me when you get older, and bigger (if you actually survive making no money) you will look back on this and wonder why you were cheap.

2. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

I will not install mulch if they don't want it edged. You say what a crappy job the other company did.....what do you think people will think of your work if you dont prep properly. You are also going to have overhead and one other pesky little thing called TAXES. How bout your insurance and all your tools and what not. I am getting aggravated so I will leave it at that.

3. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

yea hes clearly not a real business, just a few 15 year olds working for pizza money,

4. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

don't forget the truck and the fiel to get the material to the jobsite. Kid THINKS he made $15 an hour when in reality he was paying this old woman for the opportunity to work.

5. Kinz

Kinz LawnSite Member

Why not charge a fee for the mulch -- say $30. - $35. per yard, then an hourly rate to spread it. That way, if you have to do other things like edging, or cleaning out a patch of grass, or small grading with a rake, or whatever, you're covered.

6. Andover Landscape Co.

Andover Landscape Co. LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Lexington,KY

wvaughn7,

If you can get your mulch for $18.00per yard and charge $50.00, that leaves $32.00 for install. That's a little better than what you had.. I think in my area that's is a fare (low) price. If you edge I'd add $1.50 per linear ft for edging. But that does not include weed pulling...
    If you are required to pull weeds by hand that would be another charge per square foot.
    If it was a newly installed bed, I would put my edge down(1.50LF, Roundup inside the perimeter (1.50 sq ft) then come back the next day and lay mulch at $50.00 per yard.

At least you got some experience on this one...even if you didn't get much cash...

7. nepatsfan

$1.50 per linear foot for edging is an absolutely absurd price and you will get very few jobs with that price. 300 feet of edging for $450. what is your hourly rate $300.

8. nepatsfan

$1.50 a linear foot for edging and $50 per yard installed. Thats like selling a brand new F350 for 10 grand and charging 20 grand for power windows.

9. Andover Landscape Co.

Male, from Lexington,KY

Ok if I'm making a brand new bed from scratch that is 10ft wide x 10ft long(square) with no berm, mulched 3" inches deep and Qty2 boxwood's installed.

I would price it like this:

Mulch = $18.00 @ $18.00 cu yard
    installation = $32.00 @$32.00 per yard
    Edge = $75.00 @ 1.50 lft
    Roundup = $15.00 @.15 sq ft (Note: in previous post I said 1.50 sq ft by mistake)

Qty 2 Buxus ( Green Velvet Boxwood 3gal. ) $72.00 @ $32.00 each
    Installation $43.20 @ 60%(60% is on the low side)

Total $255.20
    Tax $5.40

Grand total $260.60

(That's the way it's done by me...)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  10. Andover Landscape Co.

Male, from Lexington,KY

I messed up on the dimension above, that would be a bed 5x20...Oh, and total time on property maybe 30min?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010