First mulch job (pics)

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by wvaughn7, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Kinz

Kinz LawnSite Member

Except that $1.50 x 100 linear ft. is $150.00

2. Andover Landscape Co.

Andover Landscape Co. LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Lexington,KY

LOL, Seriously?

3. Kinz

Kinz LawnSite Member

But here's a question...I used to charge tax on an invoice to a customer because I didn't pay sales tax for material when I bought it. After talking to the nurseries I buy from, they said that 95% of the landscapers pay sales tax. Then after working for a landscape company, I realized that they billed cutomers withought sales tax, only as a labor charge, because they already paid the sales tax when they bought the material. That way they don't have to pay quarterly taxes. I know this is getting off the subject, but that last calculation by Johnnie Test got me wondering. How do y'all do sales tax? If I need to do another thread somewhere I will.

4. Andover Landscape Co.

Andover Landscape Co. LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Lexington,KY

And 100 linear ft would be a bed, what size????
    another thread would be awesome..

5. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

I do not specify the amount of materials. If you sell mulch and mark it up even if its a dollar you have to charge sales tax. If you dont specify how much you are charging individually you can sell the mulch at exactly what you paid for. Even though you will be incorporating a mark up or higher "labor costs".

6. Kinz

Kinz LawnSite Member

100 linear ft. could be any bed size with 100 linear ft. 10x10, 5x20, still 100 linear ft. So with your calculation Johnny, that's $150. I know I suck at math, but my calculator doesn't. Your billing shows $75., so I'm just confused.

7. Kinz

Kinz LawnSite Member

I thought I dedited my post but it didn't show up. So...I was figuring sq. footage not linear ft. Sorry. So 40 linear ft. is more like it. My 54 yr. old brain sometimes doesn't act right! Sorry Johnny.