First new client

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mike lane lawn care, Apr 6, 2006.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

I got my first new client of the year today. i got a message on my voice mail today, from this elderly lady who was looking for lawn care. i call her back and set up an estimate for her for today. i get there and she and her husband are standing outside of their huge home, with a great looking front lawn. I introduce myself and they show me around the property, and then get this, they tell me that they want the front yard raked when it really grows(even with a mulching mower), since the front yard is small, i say sure. they tell me that i can leave the clippings in the back yard, they also show me a place in their barn where i can get a drink or use the bathroom. they also prefer me to do it on friday (which is the best day for me). I give them the price of $35/wk, feeling this is about right, he say no, that's too low, i'll give you $45/wk, i was stunned. so the first estimate turned into the first new client, i thought this was a good way to start off the year.

2. phototropic1

phototropic1 LawnSite Member
    from MS

Great job Mike! When it gets really hot and you're really tired this summer, make sure you still work really hard for these people. Sounds like the type of client that could get you a lot of work in the future. Good luck!

3. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Great Job, I love customers like that. I just got a new customer today that liked my work so much he told me to look around and anything that I could do to make the yard look better, do it and he'll pay. I'm thinking water garden, retaining walls....hehe, no. But we'll make it look good.

4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

hope it all goes well..:drinkup:

something to think about....
    you customer is telling you, how, to cut , when to cut, and how much you are going to charge.....?????????

although they were very nice and your first account is a big step, you might want to be the one in control of the situation from now on....
    explain, you dont rake the yard, its nessacery for the lawn clippings to biodegrade to help with the feeding of the nitrogen to the lawn...
    maybe that you will fit them into your schedule when you can.... they all cant be mowed on friday like they would like..... and that your price..... was well though out, and an accurate assesment of the situation..(hahahahha just kidding.... take the money...:)

hope you have a great year:)

5. mike lane lawn care

thanks for the encouragement guys

6. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

a1 man nice work.

7. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

nice work, customers like that make the job seem alittle easier....

8. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

:cool2: Way to go:clapping: ...How did they hear about you and how many sq. ft (approx) is the total???:confused:

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

the outhouse, that I've never been offered and I must admit, my first year that would've been nice.

the fact they offered to pay more than your bid is also good, perhaps your prices could use some adjusting.

10. mike lane lawn care

they saw my AD in the local paper, and it's about 14,000 SQ FT, not real big