First official job...I'm a moron

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Tim@AcesLCLS, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Tim@AcesLCLS

Tim@AcesLCLS LawnSite Member

So I got my first paver job just a really simple retaining wall maybe like 20 sq ft and I bought a whole pallet because the customer wants the rest of the pavers in some asinine formation I will charge a lot extra for. But, therein lies the problem I bought 3500 lbs of pavers and own an F150 and that is all I have, thank god my buddy has and F350 or I would have been screwed because there is no way it would have been efficient for them to deliver the order or split the pallet (just far enough/close enough that either was a pain). Live and learn and then by a gigantic f'n truck ASAP.

2. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I have hauled 3200 lbs. on my Ram 1500 plenty of times. Not a big deal.

3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I didn't know you built walls with pavers........:hammerhead: My first truck was an f100 pick up and I hauled a full pallet of paver more times than I should have.

4. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

This is too funny. Someone comes on here and says that they went and found and F-350 instead of overloading an F-150 with a full pallet. He gets told that people do it all the time, admitting it is too heavy.

If he had come on here and said that he had done it, he would have gotten a lecture about how bad it will be when he runs over little Johnny because he couldn't stop the truck. No wonder the new guys get confused:dizzy:

5. neversatisfiedj

Sure its too much for a 1/2 ton truck. What do you want me to say .:usflag:

6. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

Either a bigger truck or a trailer that you can tow behind you with heavier/bulkier items. Trailer will probably cost you a lot less....

7. neversatisfiedj

If you're trying to be in the hardscape field with a 1/2 ton truck it won't last long. Maybe for a lawnboy - but not a hardscaper.

8. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

I can put one pallet in my 2500 and 3 pallets on my 5 ton trailer. it works good, but a deck over trailer would be more handy. looking to get a 5or6 ton dump trailer with removable sides. the less you can overload your truck the better, good move not risking it

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

a full pallet of Mulch on my f150. Still stacked and wrapped....Sure did look funny driving the down the road and handled even worse. Heck its the only way a f150 with a standard bed will hold 4 yards of mulch....:)

yes I know it was stupid. but I guess we all do it once in a while.

10. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

buy a big truck, or pay $100 for a delivery.... hmmm :rolleyes:

I get a kick outta guys that are buying bigger trucks, flatbed trailers, dump trailers and coming up with all kinds of cockamamie ideas to haul more and more pallets of material on their own.

I wouldn't think twice about having a single pallet delivered. When you factor in your time to go the yard, wait to be loaded, chain down your load, drive to your job site, unchain the load and then unload it, wouldn't it have been just as easy to have it delievered???

I will on occassion pick something up on my own, but it's usually only in a pinch. Otherwise, I have nearly everything delivered.