1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First oil change at 8 hrs

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by des1477, Mar 17, 2008.

1. des1477

des1477 LawnSite Member

Dealer says dont need to change filter. Yes or No
  2. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

Change the filter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DISTURBEDSMR LawnSite Member

They all say that I don't know why the filter is alot cheaper than the motor.
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I don't care who says what, When I do a (first) break-in oil change it gets a new filter. It's just plain stupid to leave on/run new oil through a filter that may have been contaminated with break-in/assembly metal particles.....

Ever wonder how trash gets into carbs even with a fuel filter ? Hmmm.....
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I still see even some Owner's manuals talk of it that way (only every 2nd change)...
    But why go through the motions, do it right and change the oil AND filter, always.
  6. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

I would certainly "feel better" changing the filter, but if the filter is actually doing its job, a few metal filings will stay where they should. It's not like it's been sitting for a couple years sludging up!
  7. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

After break in I started changing the filter every other oil change, about every 60 hrs. Which is every other Saturday in season. Oil still looks good when drained.
  8. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Change It!!!!!
  9. des1477

des1477 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info everybody.
  10. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

It just seems to make good sense to get that filter out of that engine and replace it along with new oil -- every oil change.