First oil change for 25 Kohler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

For those that use synthetic.. which grade do you use? 10w30, 15w30 or does it not matter between the two?

Also, is there another oil filter I can use besides Kohler? Has anyone else used another brand...which did you use? Or maybe not using a Kohler will void the warranty?

Thanks!

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm using Mobil 1 10w30 in everything I own. Cars, truck, mowers etc.

Some of the filters which will fit your engine are:

AC=PF-53
    Hastings=157-A
    Purolator=PER-183, PER-241, FCO-201
    WIX=51348
    NAPA=1348
    Fram=PH-46, PH-3816
    Motorcraft=FL-271, FL-793

(Thanks go to Mow Ed for the list)

3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks Richard.

I didn't mention it was a Command on a Lazer... Does that change anything?

Thanks again.

BTW, what part of MD are you in?

4. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

the kohler commands require a 10w30 because of their hydralic lifters. I wouldn't use anything but a kohler filter during warranty.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

leaflawnlimb,

You can use any brand oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, etc. you want on any engine under warranty. Its the LAW!

TSG,

As for synthetic, I would wait till at least 100 hrs before switching over to synthetic. It may be an old wives tale about it being too slippery and not allowing the engine to break in and seat rings, but I would and have waited till the 100hr mark.

6. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

dixie1

It may be the law, but I still would not use any other filter. I still use the oem filters on all my machines, I buy them by the case and my dealer gives me a really good price.

7. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic 0w30 in my 25 Kohler for about 40 hours now and don't see any negative effects. The oil looks as though I just changed it.

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I agree on waiting until at least 100 hours before putting synthetics in a motor. I wait until I have 200 hours on mine and I've had great luck with engines. I will be doing my 69th oil change on my 22 hp Kohler by the end of the week. I change it every 50 hours, so it has a bunch on it.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

TSG wrote:
    BTW, what part of MD are you in?

This may seem silly but I prefer not to advertise my location on an open forum like this due to security. Anybody can read these messages and there are people who like to steal our type of equiptment. Remember, locks only keep honest people honest.

10. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

i bought filters for my 18 kolher from "mow more" way cheaper than at the store but basically the same.