1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First Oil Change in my new Proline 21"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by boxoffire, Apr 3, 2005.

1. boxoffire

boxoffire LawnSite Member

commercial mower is coming up. It has a Kawasaki 6.5 hp on it and I have a quart of the Kohler 10w 30 and was wondering if that would be ok to use in it? Do you folks use a special oil made for the Kawasaki's and should I use that instead?

2. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

A good grade of 30W. Don't use 10W30 in the Kawasaki.
  3. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

According to the manual, 10W-30 should be just fine. The only difference will be that it will use a little more oil because some of it is "thinner." But, on the other hand, 10W-30 should reduce the wear on startup. That is why we use it in our cars instead of straight 30.

"Using multi grade oils will increase oil consumption. Check oil level more frequently when using them." Quote from manual.
  4. boxoffire

Ok thanks for the suggestions. Now this. Just used the mower and did a lawn and dumb ass me hit a rock and took a small chunk out of the blade and also when blade is running the mower sounds just slightly different. Did I bend something badly you think or maybe just the blade is out of balance now since I hit the rock? I'm gonna take it off and sharpen and balance and hope all is well but I'm so bummed about it since I just bought the thing. Jeez I do some stupid things. Sure makes you feel like an idiot and wonder should I even be doing this. Somebody help........ LOL...

Thanks for the help with oil. I'll get what the manual recommends and be done with it.

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Don't listen to the synthetic crap
  6. boxoffire

I know, I have a can of plain SAE 30 motor oil made by Havoline at my house and am thinking about just putting a quart of that in and it should be fine. As long as it meets the requirements and correct weight I would think it's fine.
  7. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

More than likely you bent the retainer...Its a $30 part that the blade rests on. I run 6 prolines and have already bent 2 of the retainers in the last week...It doesnt take much. :dizzy:
  8. boxoffire

You were right, ZaK18! I took off the retainer and blade and the retainer he gotten bent a little where it wraps around the blade. Must have hit the rock right there. That end was rubbing the plastic anti scalp piece just barely when that side of the blade turns over the top of it and you could see where it was scratching it. I took it off and took a hammer to it and bent it back to almost original form and resharpened my blade and balanced it, put it all back on and no more strange sound. Sounds just the way it did and cut great. I was so relieved. Hopefully I learned a lesson and didn't have to pay for it this time. Good day. Thank you.