First one, ideas?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Viking Aeration, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Viking Aeration

Viking Aeration LawnSite Member

Hi all;

I am going to be doing a practice run on my place, see photo's I am considering 3 Well's along the fron of the house,
    Either 1 well at the base of the tree....and perhaps 1-2 spots cross lighting the Rock....

Or put in 1-2 4704 Spreads in the front garden,,....
    Vista 600 CTS Trans, along w/ w Comp wells and 2 x 2212 spots...
    Any other ideas?

Not sure, landscaping is not complete but eventually wish to do somthing cool....we're doing a patio, so I'll put in some comp wells w/ frosted lenses around the edge....
    In the garden I was thinking of spreads as well....partial forest in the back but not really enought to moonlght/ I dont think.....
    Should I uplight any of the mature rees in the back?

Thanks all, doing my place first to play aroundso I thought some pics wold be good for all of you more experienced pers to view....
    Also a High end alandscaper is my neighbour and I am really wanting to "wow" them along with many of the other people....they might consider it, then I am hoping it will grow from there....

2. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

I'd use MR-16 Bullets instead of wells (mulch burners) at the front of the house.

I'd say the rock is bit small for spots and would place a few China Hat-type path lights around the front garden.

Again, 2 bullets instead of well light on the front tree.

I'd like to see 2 or 3 path lights at the garden bed/sitting area in the back.

It looks like you have one big tree in the back that you could put a tree light into for the back sitting area.

As for uplighting the other trees in the back, I'd like to see many fixtures back there lighting an assortment of the trees both in front and towards the back, staggered in a way to provide interesting depth. Don't go over 20 watts on those.
  3. Viking Aeration

Viking Aeration LawnSite Member

O cool idea re- tree light.....mind if I ask, in the Vista line anyway....what you'd suggest? I recall Paul w/ nightscapes I believe suggesting a 20w - 35 w Mr16 w/ a60 degree spread.....are you thinking moon lighting? or just some basic soft low lumins for the area?

thanks again!

lemme know your thoughts...

PS MR16 Bullets instead of Wells? eh...interesting, I plan on getting both and firing em up to see differences.....

thanks again!:canadaflag:
  4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

ditto what steve said on bullets vs well lights.

I would consider

20 w 12 degree on each side of garage and on the other porch pillar. Maybe some wall washes on the smaller walls.

Maybe uplight the small tree in front bed and then area light rest and maybe the use of ONE novelty fixture.

In the back tree light it for now then wait until your patio is planned and make sure you get conduits in where you need them.

Is it possible for you to downlight in anyway on the house ? Its alot of work but I have seen some really dramatic pictures.