First Overseeding - what fun?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOW ED, Sep 18, 2000.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I did my very first overseeding today. Small job about 2000 sq ft. I rented a Bluebird seeder and found it to be a waste of $$$. 36 bucks for 3 hours + seed + fert + straw cover + time = about 25 bucks profit by the time I was done.

Its a customers lawn and my mower did some of the bare spot damamge over the last 5 years so it was sort of a good will gesture. Now I have to wait and see if it works. Bad area. moss, dark trees and crappy soil but we will see. I used mostly a fescue, ky blue and rye (perennial) mix. Bid it at 100 bucks I am embarassed to admit but it kept me from sitting on my hands today.

What do ya think?
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I think I would rather go broke sitting at home.

But really, you did get some real good experience. What you learned today, will never be forgotten.
  3. Chip

Chip LawnSite Member

Mowed I have done jobs like that before when halfway through you realize that you way underbid. I usually just bite the bullet and chalk it up as a learning experience. Sometimes if you let your customer think he got a special price because you are expecting to get referal business. You will get that and sometimes a bonus. Try not to do this too often. Sitting at home on your hands doesn't make you any money but getting out gives you exposure.
  4. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

Hey MowEd, I was under the impression that you had to over seed every year at some time up north.
    No seeds down here for St.Agustine grass. We just buy sod when we need it.
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Growing has been unbelievable up here. It has rained every week all summer. There has been no dormant season and I have been mowing every week since late April. The way its going I will probably be mowing into late October.

I really was thinking of getting into aerating and overseeding up here but even people that did nothing to their grass at least watched it grow. Mayby next year.

I'll take a little of that Southern weather in about 3 months Bobby.
  6. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

MOW ED,

The experience with the equipment and seeing the results (Did it work) will allow you to raise your price and advertise for more overseeding in the future.

Consider it practice.
  7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I did one toay too. I aerated the heck out of the bare spots that came from killing all the weeds on this lawn and then seeded it. I found out that the striping kit chains work well for smoothening out the cores and leveling of the areas that I areated so much. Like having a drag built in. :) The only thing different between your job and mine is, I made money. :D I guess the next time you come down, I'll buy the breakfast.
  8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Good point Toroguy. Ed, take pics and than take after pics, one of the best selling tools I have.

9. Ricky

Ricky LawnSite Member

Sorry to here about the Bluebird seeder. What was wrong with it? I was going to rent one today but it was already rented. $44 for 24 hrs. is what one goes for here. I will do my own yard first. If it turns out good for me then I may try others.
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the encouragement, as I sit here I can hear the new seeds germinating because its raining again. Any money I lost on the seed job has already been made up by the constant mowing I'm doing up here.

O.K. Eric I'll take you up on that breakfast and now I know how to order without having to take a doggie bag.

The Bluebird seeder might be o.k. for a nice flat area to reseed but I had some little slopes and some rough area that it couldn't get to with the knives. On the grass bin it recommends mowing to 1/2" I cant see how that is possible. Thats scalping for sure up here.It was a bear to push up even a slight slope and I'm not a little boy. I tried to go over at different angles which worked o.k. Next time I think I would use a spreader then 1/2 seed, aerate, 1/2 seed, break cores, fert and then cover.

I like Erics procedure, you guys should see that Chopper.

Ray I thought of the pics as I was sweating my tail off. Next time.