first patio and need some help

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Mlc gmc03, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Mlc gmc03

Mlc gmc03 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

i am workin on my first patio and i am not sure if i got it dug out deep enough i dug it out around 8 inches deep is that enough room for the properly compacted base, also the first 2 to 3 inches we used grade 8 with screenings then 2 in of screenings and then the final room will be the sand well first of all how do i level the sand and second what is the proper type of sand to be using thank you in advance for all your help
  2. StillScapes

StillScapes LawnSite Member

What type of patio are you building is it ground level or is it a raised patio.
  3. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

For walkways and patios we usually dig down only 4-6 inches, 8-10 inches is more for like driveways n stuff. lay 4 inches of 3/4 clean then 2 inches of sand for leveling. Good luck.

4. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Your base first depends on your climate and what kind of soils you will be building on. In the climate I currently live in we use 12" of compacted processed gravel when I lived on the coast 4-6 was acceptable. Need more info for accurate answer...what is the patio made of?
  5. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

base depends on where you live. as far as leveling goes well there are a couple ways of doing it. First is I would run string lines at your final elevation...make a grid across the whole patio.mayeb 4x4 sqares or something....make sure you check there levels with a string line you have reached your hieghts compact everything right over the strings.....then run you outside soilder course.....some guys use aluminum screed but i prefer a good clean new 2x4. I notch the ends equal to the hieght of the pavers.Place one end of the 2x4 on you outside course put the level on the 2x4 and make sure your where you need to be as far as pitch and levelness. Finally as you move down the line you can see where there are high and low spots.....just screed them out or add more where you need it.....Once yoiu start laying your pavers always start at the house and work your way out in case everything isnt completey square.

Hope this helps