1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

First patio job for actual client.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by andersman02, Aug 1, 2013.

1. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

So I've labored with my best friends company about 300 miles away on 3 patios jobs. Just started doing hardscapes and landscapes in general for our company. This was the first trully paying patio job I've done.

Anchor Kingston fieldstone w/ ironstone soldier, 4" 3/4-, 1" course sand, sloped away from house with drain tile from gutter and where asphalt meets garage slab (had standing water problem there)

Let me have it, goods and bads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

the border doesn't flow. u gotta figure out how to miter corners or use some sort of cornerstone. Don't worry, Lawnsite poster AlldayRJ has the same problem with his borders too :) :)

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

very nice seeing u made use of PERENNIALS.

So many people here post pictures of their work, from $5k jobs to $85k jobs an they have no flippin clue how to utilize perennials in the landscape. Yet they call theirselves "landscapers".

good job on the perennial use, u scored points with me!

4. andersman02

Alright, miter basically meaning a 45 deg angle at the corner with matching pieces of soldier on each side?

edit- dumb question

5. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer LawnSite Member

The soldier course doesn't return to the steps. Also there are a few sliver cuts.

6. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Work looks good, love the corners, miters are so '90's. I probably would have eliminated the bed between the driveway and patio but that's if I was designing it. I do whatever the customer wants

7. Red Shed Landscaping

Red Shed Landscaping LawnSite Member

I like the work you did. I also would have done the corners like you did but I would agree with drakeslayer that you should have returned the border to the deck like you did by the driveway and those slivers pieces catch your eye right away.

We will miter corners if it is some odd ball angle or when using 4x8's and will use a square paver in the corner when doing cobblestone pavers or have one that will work with the border.

8. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice job! I really like that limelight hydrangea. I have never seen them in a tree form before. Maybe for winter interest you could have used some dwarf variegated goshiki holly in place of the hosta.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  9. andersman02

Holly is not particularly hardy here in MN, Also that spot is very harsh for plants- minimal sun, no water etc. so figured hostas will thrive there.

Its amazing the little things you notice from you guys! Definately should have returned the soldier to the deck, luckily it will be masked by the steps being built.

Winter interest will have the aronia (black berries), grasses and spent hydrangea blooms.