First patio job,Need some help

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by lawnpro2210, Sep 1, 2008.

1. lawnpro2210

lawnpro2210 LawnSite Member

so ive decided to build my mom a patio because she keeps complanning about are back yard looking bad (and shes right) so ive decided im gouing to give it a shot.We already have the pavers but i need alot of other stuff lol.ive read more books and watched more videos on how to build a patio in the last 3days that im even starting to have dreams about it lol but the hardest part so far is designing it.I have some pics and am wondering if you guys can help me out if you have the right software to throw togeather a pic of what it could look like.Thanks a ton. Mike
    will keep you guys updated on the progress with lots of pics so check back to see how im douing.

patio 2_1.jpg

patio 3_1.jpg

patio 4_1.jpg

patio 5_1.jpg

patio bricks 2_1.jpg
  2. lawnpro2210

here some more pics

patio bricks_1.jpg

3. Hardscaping

Hardscaping LawnSite Senior Member

well first things first take out all the concrete and stairs that is there in the area of the size you want to make you patio.

Then dig your base you have read books so you know what to do then.

Lay your patio then buy the precast cement steps think they are called valentia steps.

Then set your steps in place.

then you are done not much to designing a small patio like that unles you are making it a raised patio with stairs coming off of it and all the jazz of rails and stuff.
  4. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Limited advice there.

To break it down quickly: demo concrete, dig 8" down, lay WOVEN geotextile fabric, lay and pack 4-6" base (compacted in 2" layers), screed out 1" of coarse concrete sand with 3/4" gas pipe (rigid pipe), lay pavers, install edge restraint, tamp down pavers, sweep polymeric sand, tamp pavers, sweep polymeric, mist with water. BAM, enjoy!
  5. Hardscaping

Hardscaping LawnSite Senior Member

oh yeah mark and cut that cement walkway to the correct angle and size for you lay your pavers right up to it.
  6. lawnpro2210

well started demolition to day dug up all the cement and dug down a little bit.
    went pretty good untill a ran into a pipe from the spouting that feeds in to the well but its a easy fix.heres some pics.

??? How many of you lay cement then the brick.and if you use the gravel then sand methad what are the layers you use in inches.Thanks Mike

patio work 1_1.jpg

patio work 2_1.jpg

patio work_1.jpg
  7. lawnpro2210

this was by the far the funnest part :)

patio lines_1.jpg

excavator 2_1.jpg

excavator 3_1.jpg

excavator 4_1.jpg

8. lawnpro2210

9. Plant Buyer 83

Plant Buyer 83 LawnSite Member

Did you do a "Insert Your State Here" One Call - I want to venture a guess and say no. I know it is now after the fact - I see you hit a drainage pipe. You are lucky that you didn't hit any utilities they can be COSTLY.

You should move that pipe so it is not draining towards the house. If that is the case, hard to tell by the pic what is really going on there or even if that is where the pipe stops.

Good luck, learn a lot, and lets see progress pictures as it comes along.
  10. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the hat, good luck to you.