1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First patio..........

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Drafto, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Drafto

Drafto LawnSite Senior Member

Rip away fellas! I just typed this long post about this patio and how excited I was to have it made fun of by yall, but the pic was too big and it deleted everything I typed so here you go. Don't be shy, I made plenty of mistakes and I learned from everyone of them. The customers were awsome and even tipped me when it was all said and done. Some people are the best to work for and some people are the worst, but at least they are not the same people everyday like when I had to work for the man all day. I have a lot of people on this site to thank for where I am today, and for this first patio. SO come on who is gonna throw the first stone! If you look closely at eh first pic, you can see the gas line I ruptured with the skid steer, NO INJURIES, but a city block was evacuated.
  2. Drafto

3. Drafto

After 1st shot............

4. Drafto

After pic 2 other side.......wifey couldn't fit it all in one.......maybe she could have but why complain?????

5. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

a lesson you only learn once.......CALL before you DIG!

Not just for you life, but for you business. You could of lost everthing you owned and will own hitting a gas line.

Looks pretty good for a rookie though. Appears to be techo blok elena in earth brown?? A nice choice, and a little more complex for a beginner. Running lines look pretty straight from the pics, and the overall grade looks decent, with no high or low spots.

Only complaint I have is with curb block......a little wavy across the top. It's tough getting that curb block all in a nice, even line.

Overall, it looks like you did good. Just call for that markout next time!

Nice work.

6. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

looks great, nice work.
  7. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I think it looks nice as well!
  8. Drafto

It is Elena - Earth Brown, the random pattern was interesting to lay. It was extremely easy to be picky when it is your first one, which I was, so their aren't any long seems or low spots. I had a pumping problem with the soil when I was excavating so I just kept digging to put more 2A in the problem areas. The gas line was about 12" down, a no-no in this area, minimum 18", I didn't expect to hit it that shallow. Thanks for your compliments, I expected much worse, but it is early yet I am sure someone will rip it. I have the next 2 scheduled, and a walkway that needs to be done. If I could go back I bet I could get this done in half the time.

9. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

Looks good, just don't like that long straight line.
  10. Neighbor2NV

Neighbor2NV LawnSite Member

I think it looks good!