First Paver Walkway

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by ZKSLAWN, Apr 25, 2011.

1. ZKSLAWN

ZKSLAWN LawnSite Senior Member

Ok so i did a patio last year but it was over a concrete slab.. So this will be my first hardscape that i will do a base for and everything start to finish. here is the outline i was thinking of having the right side go all the way to the patio but went with this instead.. i have only dug up about 3 inches so far so if you guys think it will look better that way please tell me... i didn't get a pic of it dug out cuz it was dark so heres the only pic i have for tonight.

and from what i can tell it looks like Colonial Cobble City blend.. If its not please tell me.

[​IMG]

2. ZKSLAWN

Heres what i did yesterday but didn't get a pic of. I hit clay so gotta break it up more and had other stuff to do today.

[​IMG]

3. Schrock Lawns

Schrock Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

looks good

4. KE-llc

KE-llc LawnSite Senior Member

would you like me to tell you why your little walkway will fail in a few months

5. Coastal Lawn Maintenance

Coastal Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

what kinda of base did you use. or have you just dug out and getting ready to install

6. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

waiting for pictures of the finished product

7. ZKSLAWN

Please do.. im doing this to learn.

i will do the crushed stone base 4in and another 1in of sand.

8. jdo150

jdo150 LawnSite Member

How are you going to compact the base? rent a compactor or use a hand tamper If you use a hand tamper you better only fill the base in 1" lifts. Also use a little geo fabric under your base.

9. ZKSLAWN

I havnt decided which way I'm going to compact it yet.. If the compactor is cheap ill get it. And ya I remember reading the 1" at a time to make sure its as compacted as it can be.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Cam.at.Heritage

Cam.at.Heritage LawnSite Member

OK couple things....

- If its all clay I would definitely go with geo-fabric
    - Also go a little deeper to help make a stable base on the clay, 6"min
    - Your base prep needs to be wider then your actual walkway, usually about 6" (this helps to support the pavers at the edge)
    - Edge restraint?? Not crucial for a simple straight walk but worth looking at.
    - Joint Material? Polymeric?
    - I would invest the money in a plate compactor for a day its maybe $50

When your doing the compaction lay down an skim of 'A' gravel and then run the plate tamper over that, this will compact the base soil, then continue in lifts of 4" max (depending on what the tamper is rated too)

Good luck