1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First PITA of the season

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Golfpro21, May 30, 2010.

1. Golfpro21

Golfpro21 LawnSite Senior Member

Got to love them!!

Had an email from some lady asking for service on a 1\2acre lot in a very upscale area, but she said her grass needed cutting right away as it was getting long. So we said we would be in the area the next day and could service her property for $40 per cut.

When we showed up, her house was the ugly duckling of the neighborhood.....grass 1 foot high, weeds everywhere, dog crap all over backyard, and 12 huge play buildings/castles/structures etc scattered everywhere. We cut and trimmed and blew off clippings and property looked as good as it could. Of course she wasn't home to meet with and discuss. On top of all that crap, there was broken glass in many areas....:(:cry:

She emails later that evening saying that we missed some areas and even admitted that most people would mistake the areas for over grown gardens, but in fact under the 1.5 feet of overgrowth, it was turf, and she said we did not move the play structures so asked if we could swing back and take care of that as the grass will grow too high around and inside the structures for the kids to play in!!

I responded by telling her we would be cutting on Thursdays and that structures needed to be moved prior to us cutting if she wanted the grass cut under them, also that dog crap needed to be picked up prior to cutting as we don't mow through crap.

She then asked why we don't move the obstacles when we cut....I then informed her that we would not be able to service her and her pig sty of a property....can just imagine what the neighbors say about her. I told her she could keep her $40 for the first cut and wished her all the best in finding a service that would do all this and mow through glass and crap

We are all about great customer service but she is the prime example of a PITA....so she was dropped before she became a headache.
  2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Sounds like next time you might want to actually eyeball a property and come to an agreement on what gets moved and what doesn't before pricing it.
  3. whosedog

whosedog LawnSite Senior Member

I have a yard that's full of toys( every time we go there's new ones), it takes 5 minutes to move them all so we charge an extra $5,she said she would move them if I called her before hand but I'd rather move them myself and charge her for it.Dog crap, we run over,it's the only fertilizer that some yards get,really makes the grass grow in clumps.Glass I try to remove,if a shard hit's a tire at the right angle it could pop it,no steel belted radials that I know of for mowers.
  4. Golfpro21

she was in an urgent need of cutting she said......so had no time to view property before hand......looked at her lot on google for size so went off that.....so your saying I should have told her sorry can't cut you right away......was trying to do her a favour

I won't miss her property or revenue.....we have more quotes and jobs than we can keep up with.
  5. Golfpro21

these were not little toys...these were 10 feet by 10 feet castles and play houses etc.........some of them heavy enough that one person could not move, so no we would not move them every cut........you want us to cut your lawn, you can prep it, same as dog crap.....the odd pile fine....but dozens of it forget it
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Been there, done that, it's just too bad really, how that works out some days.
  7. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

We're lawnscapers! Not movers!

But I'll move a picnic table, If it's in the way, but a play set, not a chance!

This is way off topic, but have you ever gotten a hole in one?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah but I don't think the courses compare.
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

10. Golfpro21

hey there....yes luckily, I have 3 hole in ones..........they are not all they are cracked up to be....they cost you a fortune in drinks once you get to the club house!!!:cry: